Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:doh:i want to make compounds for my truck.has anyone ran a garrett from a detroit motor w/ a holset.i want to use my stock turbo[holset] and make all the plumbing myself and with oppurtunity to get a garrett off an old motor dirt cheap......its time if it will work.or can anyone direct me an application model motor/vehicle where to source a suitable mate to go with my stocker?any help would be good cause work is slow now and family comes before play but cheap cheap cheap we can do.thanks guys cause all the math hurts my head:rof

·
Registered
481 Posts
What model garret? Anything can be done but if its not a good combo, its not a good combo. Maybe post a pic of the turbo....?

·
Registered
90 Posts
are you talking about one off of a series 60? or off a 6v71? old or new. I'm sure it would work. those garrets on the series 60 seem to spool damn near off idle on those things. if you can pick one up cheap I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is it wastegated or not? If it is wastegated, it could be a k31. Industrial injection uses them for towing twins. The cast compressor wheels are not as strong as the forged ones. The forged wheels should look like they were machined and kinda shiney. Hope this helps.

Jordan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right on guys,finally getting some feed back on this.i am not overly educated on this stuff yet but i assure you that if you all stick with me,i will build a truck ya can all be proud of.and yes the turbo in question is off a sixty series motor and probably older.i was workin in the scrap yard doing build up on one of thier bailers and the fella runnin the yard says i can have what ever i want so i will probably get my plumbing a
t the same time cause there are a ton of pipes full of bends already there so that should cut down on fab time lol.but also does anyone have any suggestions on a specific application truck/loader/equiptment that would have a turbo that would work better?tryin to get it all together now as i am pullin the motor out of my 1st truck and getting ready to build it.damn i love this stuff!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts