Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been throwing the idea around of moving to compounds. My main question is, is the 362 to big for the manifold turbo? Truck is intended for towing and to be a hot street truck. Spool up is already a tad slow with current setup, so I can't see it getting any better but wanted to hear some thoughts on it. Am I better off going back to a stock size charger for the manifold or will the current 362 work?

·
Registered
361 Posts
What are you using for tuning? Are you still running stock injectors? It’s hard to beat a stocker twin kit for a fast spooling tow/street rig that is good for up to 650hp.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Your tuning will play a big roll in how your turbo spools. The 362 should spool pretty fast. I don't know if those turbos have a wastegate or not, but that will also affect how the turbo spools. Have you checked for boost and exhaust leaks?

To answer your questions, no a 362 will not be too big to use as a secondary. It's a great turbo to use as a secondary. I wouldn't say your better off going back to the HE351, but it will spool a little faster.

Reactions: 12smith02

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock fuel. No boost leaks. MM3 for tuning. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Is there a wastegate on the turbo? How does the wastegate function? Have you talked with your tuner?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing wrong with current turbo. External wastegate. Just has a little more lag than the stocker which is to be expected. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't get worse or wasn't a good option to run as the smaller charger for a compound setup. I have not discussed with my tuner yet. I know he can tune for whatever route I go, I guess I was just looking for any personal experience. I mean yes, I know it will work, but is it the best option?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Oh ok. Yes it will have a little more lag then the stick turbo. Is it the best option? Well that depends on what your looking for. If you want the fastest spooling setup, then the stock turbo is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Oh ok. Yes it will have a little more lag then the stick turbo. Is it the best option? Well that depends on what your looking for. If you want the fastest spooling setup, then the stock turbo is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Also one thing to keep in mind is you'll have 2 wastegates if you put the stock turbo back on. Your external gate and the one in the HE351.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts