Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my return line from the inj pump as it had cracked along the seam of the hose. Not impressed with ??$$$ all over the ground and still having to drive home...

So I want to do a complete fuel line replacement.

I'm looking into a really high quality solution with a good liner in the hose.

There are 2 approaches I can take;

1. Completely replace the fuel lines from the tank to the pump etc.

2. Leave the steel lines and change all the rubber hose out.

I have seen some talk about the completely hose option. I'm not sure what I'd like best. Steel lines can be very reliable, stainless even better.

Input?

Also, if I went with just the factory hose setup, how much will I need at the tank? 5/16 return and 3/8 to engine.

Also, any thoughts on eliminating the fuel heating system? I live in the pacific Northwest, and may see some colder temps.

Thanks

Art

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
depending on what exactly you are looking for, you could consider a FASS lift pump that comes with a 1/2" line kit, that would take care of all your issues...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't the FASS system have all sorts of issues?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It's really hard to beat the stock lift pump and P7100 equiped engine. Any problems are cheap to fix. Nothing electrical to crap out either.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I was troubleshooting air leaks from Hell on my truck, which with the aftermarket tank, 20 year old lines and aftermarket lift pump was a Frankenstein of a fuel system...

I got 3/8" I/D hydraulic line for around $2.00 a foot from the local hydraulic supply house; the stuff is reinforced with steel mesh, stronger than sin, good for 3000 PSI, flexible enough for most and pretty resilient. 20 feet of it went directly from the tank to the lift pump.

The burst pressure isn't important, but on our trucks we need a line that won't suck shut under vacuum from the engine-mounted lift pump. A lot of your 150 PSI fuel line is good for pressure, but it can suck shut under heavy vacuum.

However, there are concerns when working with hydraulic lines. For instance, the steel mesh in the lines tends to put an electrical connection between your lift pump and your fuel tank, which will short out your fuel level sender. And you need a hack saw to cut it. And the first barb that you put into the line will need to be pulled out by Thor the God of Thunder.

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
I've considered using hydraulic line for diesel but was told from several sources it wasn't compatible.
Diesel behaves much differently than other petroleum products on many different materials.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need to use marine grade diesel fuel hoses :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts