Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
commin rail cummins how hard would it be to swap into a ramcharger using a 1988-1993 cummins truck for raidator monts and using the painless wireing harness, what would be the avatages and disavatages of the commin rail cummins

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I don't know of any disadvantages...other than your typical intercooler upgrades and turbo clearances...gonna watch this thread for ideas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am also wanting to make a cummins swap into a 86 ramcharger. I have a question though? I have a 12v motor complete out of a loader only thing wrong with it is just wore out. The question is will a bell housing adapter for a 24v fit the 12v and will my stock small block 727 trans fit up to the housing weather it be the 12 or 24 adapter?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the idea of a 12v better b/c it would be much easier except I heard that the engine cross member has to be changed. But the swap has been done with both the 12 and 24 engines.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok as far as for conversions go, the 12v would be the easiest, then the common rail(painless wiring harness), and then the 24v. with the 12v you can get more power but it is almost always there, with the others you can add a chip or a programmer and change the settings to whatever. after doing my conversion, I will tell you this much, try to stay away from the 24v, the wiring is just a freaking headache. Witch ever way you go, it would be a great idea to get a donor truck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can anyone help me with my previous post?

·
1ST GEN
15,575 Posts
Mike your small block trans will not fit any cummins adapter. If there was one that it would fit it would have a horrible death the first time you climbed all over the throttle. It just isn't strong enough. You need the diesel trans.

The 24 valve and the 12 valve have the same adapter bolt pattern.

·
Registered
97 Posts
does anyone know if a h1E would be an upgrade from the hx35?? Got one for free and new that the h1C is for the old 12v but did not know if the E would be any bigger or not.

·
1ST GEN
15,575 Posts
The H1E is an earlyer model of a HX40. It is a upgrade. Just don't run a big exhaust housing on it. A 16cm housing seems to be the prefered one. The Hx and H1C exhaust housings do not fit the H1E.

You can use the H1E intake wheel and housing on a H1C model turbo to make a hybred. This does save on the exhaust work. The H1E has a 4" exhaust flange. The H1C's and HX35's are 3" flange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts