Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked the oil on my 08 6.7 with 1450 miles on it and it is blacker than any diesel I have ever seen. Is this normal? Is it a new truck thing or a 6.7 or is this not normal. It isn't burning any, just super dark.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
yup thats normal thanks to the EGR and DPF systems..............Thanks Chrysler and EPA!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn, so it will always be like that? Well at least now I know.

·
5,055 Posts
As long as you have that stuff on the engine. Also many people see the volume increase up to 3 qts between changes due to blow by when diesel is injected in on the exhaust stroke for the DPF. Good stuff right there.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what you mean? you mean the oil expands and gets fuller and fuller?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nope, he's saying that the diesel that's injected during the exhaust stroke during regen cycles makes it's way past the rings into your crankcase causing the oil level to increas by as much as 3 quarts. Thanks again EPA!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it basically thins out the oil then? So sooner oil changes would be better because the oil is getting thinned out by diesel?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Zactly:lol3:

·
Registered
529 Posts
If this is the case then does that mean that we can not follow the 25,000 oil change if we use Amsoil?

·
5,055 Posts
Yup, you end up with 3 qts of diesel in your oil.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so would it be smart to put in fumoto valve so as it rises, you can let a little out now and then?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I did on mine till I was able to get all the emission stuff off my motor...
Its that or you better watch the oil level and not allow it to get over full to the point you allow the crank lobes to pound the seals out of the engine... Not to mention how bad the oil is going to break down and not lube the bearings well enough.

Actually dude this whole thing stinks if you ask more than a few of us on here. I am all for the clean air, b ut not like this and burning twice the fuel to get the clean air. All the soot you get packed in the oil on these motors with this EGR system is nothing more than a grinding compound for the bearings as the oil is pumped and pushed through the system.

With how thick and nasty the oil gets before you change it, its not going to be a pleasant sight for you since you have already noticed the color. Then with where your at in Anchorage, the temps are going to have this thick nasty oil even worse. The whole setup we have with all this emission stuff as it is, its all gloom and doom JIMO...

I sure hope they come up with something that works better for all this or take the guys that think this crap up, out and hunt them for sport...

My 6.7 is so much more happy with all this stuff off, oil is better, mileage is up and she is slowly getting simpler looking under the hood as I get rid of this over priced stuff...LOL

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can't wait until I hit 100k. I can't afford to take off anything with the warranty. But once the 100k hits who cares, BRING ON THE GOODIES!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah that is my case, damn warranty! Take it off and something pops and I am screwed. What a crock! I swithed to dodge because I thought they had there squared away.

·
Registered
750 Posts
this is why i change my oil every 3 thousand miles i dont want there to be a problem with my poor lubrication down the road.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I have the fs-2500 and the oil is black as coal. My uao comes back great. The next time I send in a sample I will have 15000 miles on oil. 3% fuel was the most I ever had so I changed it. I can't remember what dodge says is acceptable.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
A bypass filtration system will help reduce the soot load that your oil carries quite a bit. There have been many threads on here about the most popular bypass filtration systems, AMSOIL, FS, and Frantz. I'd recommend doing some reading about them. I'll put the AMSOIL system up against any of the others when it comes to filtration quality, efficiency rating and price. Your oil will still darken with a bypass system installed, but your soot load is greatly reduced and UOA proves that, as 2rowdy stated.

-Chuck

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what is the fs-2500? So alot of people have sent there oil in and it comes back o.k?

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Bypass filtration is nothing new under the sun. Many many people, myself included, run a bypass filtration system and get good UOA back. It is a proven fact that when you demand a better oil and couple it with better filtration, you get better results and save money and downtime.

-Chuck

·
Registered
331 Posts
Has anyone done the DPF delete and the EGR delete and used a bypass filter yet? I know a few have but is the oil clearing up yet?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts