Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning I started my truck w/o plugging it in. Overnight temp was -25-30*F. I don't have an exact figure 'cause my in home digital POS goes "offline" at -22*. Insight said -24*F for coolant temp, so I'll uses that #. I know my '01 wouldn't start at -15*F and the '04 went no probs at -10*F, but I never tried the '04 any lower than that.

What have y'all done? I know there has to be lower numbers.

BTW, Shaeffer's 9000 5w-40 full synth. I don't know if I would have tried it on dino. It might have gone, but I'm not that mean. :stirpot:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I started mine in-5 yesterday

·
Administrator
7,071 Posts
I started mine @ -38 after being plugged in for 45 minutes. Thats also when I decided I needed to switch to synthetic oil:

P0524 Engine Oil Pressure low.

Not good. Switched to Shell Rotella T Full syn 5W40 and much easier starts and quicker oil pressure. Run it year round.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started mine @ -38 after being plugged in for 45 minutes. Thats also when I decided I needed to switch to synthetic oil:

P0524 Engine Oil Pressure low.

Not good. Switched to Shell Rotella T Full syn 5W40 and much easier starts and quicker oil pressure. Run it year round.
OK, that's closing on "no difference", but C or F?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cold Starts

It's been between -40C and -28C here in Thunder Bay for most of the last week and I have been plugging my 2010 2500 6.7 in. as sonn as I get home.
I usually go out and start the truck in that temp so that I can set the cuise control to boost my idle up to 1100 rpm for the warm up. I remember learning on some older diesels that the engine wouldn't get enough oil to the top of the motor when idling below (approx) 1100 rpm. At least thats what they taught us at the Scnieder National school back when I was driving for a living.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
-24*f, dino oil 15w-40, sitting scene mid Oct,

Just for fun because I hear of all these starting problems.:confused013:
Cycled the grid heater twice, turned the key and she chugged to life.

No proublem.

If theses temps lasted more than a couple of weeks I'd try some 10w-40, but I don't drive her around in the winter.

·
Administrator
7,071 Posts
OK, that's closing on "no difference", but C or F?
Sorry, that was -38 Celsius. Works out to -36.4 Fahrenheit. Truck had been sitting for 5 days.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wouldn't doubt one of these new trucks would start unplugged at -40F like it was here the other morning but I'd do my best not to try. The manual recommends plugging it in at 0F and says it's "necessary" at -20F. It also says to use synthetic 5W40 at 0F and colder so I follow those recommendations. These grid heaters make life too easy. We've got skid steers and tractors around here with glow plugs that have a hard time at +20F!! Ether time!

·
Registered
145 Posts
One other note. I just had an Astrostart installed that supposedly has a feature that'll automatically start the truck every hour or two and run it for about 15 minutes. Haven't used it yet so I'm not sure on the exact times. This could be useful if you find yourself overnight somewhere without power and the temps drop to under -20F.

·
Registered
683 Posts
One other note. I just had an Astrostart installed that supposedly has a feature that'll automatically start the truck every hour or two and run it for about 15 minutes. Haven't used it yet so I'm not sure on the exact times. This could be useful if you find yourself overnight somewhere without power and the temps drop to under -20F.
I was reading about those. I was thinking that even starting it that often wouldnt keep the engine warm...or is that not the actual purpose of the astrostart? maybe to keep the oil from jelling?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Last year I started mine after work while sitting all day at -43C (-45.4F) and NOT plugged in!!!! (Around 8hrs)
I remember that day because it was recorded as being the second coldest place on the PLANET that day, Siberia was the coldest....WTF!!!!!! :banghead:
I need to move south.
Needless to say I was a little worried, but the truck started up right away. :thumbsup:
I was running 5W40 Synthetic Amsoil and Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver and Cetane boost, also by amsoil, but only use those fuel additatives when the temps drop below -25 C.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was reading about those. I was thinking that even starting it that often wouldnt keep the engine warm
Yeah, probably not warm but certainly better than leaving it completely shut down for 8 hours. I could see it being useful in a parking lot kind of situation under extreme cold conditions but not much else.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I had my early 04 sit outside unpluged for 1 week with a tank of bio (B20) in -15 degree weather. I didnt drive the truck all week and it started fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My truck failed to start yesterday at -21 degrees Fahrenheit . I plugged it in for 2 hours and she just barely fired.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
i guess it has to do with the trucks prevous treatment but some stories i hear vary so much. my buddy told me other day his 04 would not start at 15* F without a grid heater and i was shocked bc my 98.5 will start at 8*F without grids and me and my brother mess aorund sometimes bc he has a 99 Powerstroke we see whos will fire first. i started mine at -21 with the heaters and it fired fine. yet another guy i know has a 08 6.7 and it fires fine at -5*F while same situation diff truck needs to be plugged in. guess it depends on how truck is worked, treated, oil used, fuel used etc.
lets hear some more guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had my truck sitting for over 24 hours in temps from a high of 4 to a low of -15*F, let the grid heater cycle once took about 45 secs or so and fired right up not a hic-up.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Man when it's cold, my truck gets plugged in, unless I forget which has happened but it has always started, at -25F one morning. I did cycle the grid heater twice though. But ya, when it starts staying below 5-10 degrees overnight it gets plugged in right when I get home. I don't know why you guys wouldn't, it's so much better for the engine for one, and you are not saving anything more than a couple bucks over a month's time of plugging it in every night all night vs. going out two hours before and plugging it in. Besides, my windows are defrosted in like, 5 minutes when it's plugged in.

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
Last week, my 09 fired right up after sitting for over a week unplugged in temps that were as cold as -32F and windchills close to -50F. When I started it, it was -22F. Never missed a beat. Turned on the EB and idled her up to 1100 rpm and went inside for 15 min. Came out to a warm truck. The temp gauge was already at 150.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jesus Christ, and I've been anal about 14 degree nights here in texas.......sheesh
My 11 was ordered with the cold weather package (grill cover). Do you guys use these?

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
HAHA!! 14 degrees is a warm day up here.

I use a Mopar weather front that goes right on the radiator. I put it on when the day time high is around 32, close one flap around 20, close 2 flaps around 10 and close 3 around 0. I don't think I'll ever close all 4 flaps.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts