Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting a cold weather front. My truck gets driven a few times during the week and on short trips that the truck doesn't warm up fully. To combat this I drive around to get the truck good and warm before returning home so it at least feels like it stretched its legs.

I'm thinking though along the terms of mileage. With as little driving as I do, the poor mileage pans out the fuel costs since I only fill up once a month.

But can a cold weather front on the truck help the mileage by getting the truck warmed up?

·
Registered
422 Posts
it didn't help my mileage at all in town. it does help it warm up a bit faster, but no other changes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
sure, if the water temps dont get warm enough to get you out of cold start it's running around rich all the time. that'll burn alot more fuel.

i think alot of the complaints about poor mpg and winter fuel stem from the longer warm up times, thus more idling at a richer mixture.

edit:

and i'm sympathetic but it's 75 today. :D

Reactions: Shorts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sure, if the water temps dont get warm enough to get you out of cold start it's running around rich all the time. that'll burn alot more fuel.

i think alot of the complaints about poor mpg and winter fuel stem from the longer warm up times, thus more idling at a richer mixture.

edit:

and i'm sympathetic but it's 75 today. :D

BOOOOO!!!!!!! :buttkick: :rof

I'm outside trying to get this 2" layer of ice off the driveway.

I'm not worried much about the winter mileage much I guess. I've conceded my 285s + auto + city = not fabulous on a regular basis anyway. So, the cold weather mpg isn't muich more of a hit. Just thought I'd inquire. What about for the overall long term 'health' of the truck?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quicker warmup is better for the truck. When it's cool you're not getting complete combustion and there's going to be more washout of the cylinder walls and oil in your fuel. But what do you consider cold?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Quicker warmup is better for the truck. When it's cool you're not getting complete combustion and there's going to be more washout of the cylinder walls and oil in your fuel. But what do you consider cold?

Chit, here we go with you texans don't have cold weather :spank:

It's like in the teens here right now. Our winters are anywhere from 28-40s in the morning time where I'd be driving anywhere.

There's cold white dusty crap on everything and this really slick hard stuff that will put you on yer butt if you're not careful walking on it.:rof I hate that crap from you Yankess. I've heard it too much already this round of storms to I'm kinda 'up to here' about those 'that ain't cold' comments. I've lived in places that avg 12' snowfall/yr so I kinda got a hint about cold. And I'm touchy about it. Can't you tell? :S::thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got done installing a set on mine, that we made. I was having problems with it warming up and these did the trick, i have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage but nothing major

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
ok i dont mean to poke fun at the " thats not cold" but for me thats warm last week it was -45 degrees celcius so -49 degrees F without the windchill and i work outside and there is well over 3 ft of snow here so i know winter purty well and if u want a cheap fix for quicker qarm ups put cardboard infront of ur rad seal it all off just make sure to watch ur temp cause it will overheat if u dont watch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chit, here we go with you texans don't have cold weather :spank:

It's like in the teens here right now. Our winters are anywhere from 28-40s in the morning time where I'd be driving anywhere.

There's cold white dusty crap on everything and this really slick hard stuff that will put you on yer butt if you're not careful walking on it.:rof I hate that crap from you Yankess. I've heard it too much already this round of storms to I'm kinda 'up to here' about those 'that ain't cold' comments. I've lived in places that avg 12' snowfall/yr so I kinda got a hint about cold. And I'm touchy about it. Can't you tell? :S::thumbsup:
Hey man where at in Texas ar u? The low for us this morning was 21 in Beaumont, and the high was 30.. The next 2 days will be getting worse. I hope every thing on my truck will be ok, it is to big to put it in my garage. lol..:hehe:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
They do help the motor warm up quicker, and stay up to temp easier.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey man where at in Texas ar u? The low for us this morning was 21 in Beaumont, and the high was 30.. The next 2 days will be getting worse. I hope every thing on my truck will be ok, it is to big to put it in my garage. lol..:hehe:
DFW here and it didn't get over 18* for me today. That's without wind chill

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Haha it was 43F here today, my truck never warms up by the time I head to work 6mi drive, and I let it warm up for 15min before I leave,.. auto idles up. One thing I have noticed though is after switching to 5w-40 synthetic my truck runs cooler,.. same results as when I had my '06 Hemi.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

DFW here too like Cum4x4mins. I'm like you, can't get the truck in the garage. I'll probably run it tomorrow for the first time since this real cold stuff rolled in on Tues. Just hope the roads aren't real bad with ice. I like my truck and drivers around here are crazy on a regular day.

I'm definitely not acclimated for the cold stuff right now. Heck, we had a month of 100*+ days this summers.

But let's not make it about me...it's my truck's temp gauge I'm looking at... :lol4:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I saw those - very nice! They're kinda what got me thinking of them more seriously.

Da Busch:
ok i dont mean to poke fun at the " thats not cold" but for me thats warm last week it was -45 degrees celcius so -49 degrees F without the windchill and i work outside and there is well over 3 ft of snow here so i know winter purty well and if u want a cheap fix for quicker qarm ups put cardboard infront of ur rad seal it all off just make sure to watch ur temp cause it will overheat if u dont watch.
I've heard of guys using cardboard. And you brought up a good point about the temp overheating. When does the front come off the truck? Does that depend on the temp on the truck and length of drive?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Oil needs coolant to run hot as well. In other words, nothing heats up like it should. I've run "winter fronts" in a lifetime in Texas, even if just old coolant case cardboard. IAT also needs to kept up.

I ran 35-miles today on an errand that should have been 12-miles just to go non-stop on the local freeway instead of through town. Coolant never did get up, even at 54-mph, hung down at 180F or so (WAG). But the batteries have a better charge on them.

Corpus Christi has years that never get a freeze, grass stays sort of green all winter. Had to bring the lemon trees indoors and cover the other citrus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same problem! My mpg is crap! I take my son to school in the morning which is only about 2 miles away. NOT enough time to warm up! I try and take the long way home (4 miles) but it still barely gets warmed up. I live in Scottsdale, AZ. It's supposed to be warm here but this morning it was 33F and tonight is supposed to be 18F. Could I gain some mpg from plugging it in overnight and adding some grill covers?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shorts here is the best way to be safe i cut about an 8 inch hole in the center of the cardboard to let air through when the truck does warm up. today was 0 degrees celcius and my truck warmed up to 96 from the usual 95 degrees celcius. when it gets bellow -25 i stick a solid piece of cardboard in to keep the truck warm on the highway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shorts here is the best way to be safe i cut about an 8 inch hole in the center of the cardboard to let air through when the truck does warm up. today was 0 degrees celcius and my truck warmed up to 96 from the usual 95 degrees celcius. when it gets bellow -25 i stick a solid piece of cardboard in to keep the truck warm on the highway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sorry double post

1 - 20 of 22 Posts