Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 has a hard time starting when it gets near 35 or below. It never fails to start though.When it gets below 30 I usually have to crank it twice to get it started. It rolls over soooooo slow. The engine starts quick though. I guess I dont know where to go. Ive tried 10w30 with no change, had the starter apart and everything looks good and put new contacts in the solenoid. Has 2 of the biggest batteries you can get purchased from Oreillys and made no difference either. All cables and grounds good also. Starter plate and brushes looked good but I dont suppose that they could be bad? The starter just doesnt whirl it over well at all. Or could it also be valves out of adjustment ? It starts good once its warm. I am lost?

·
Registered
343 Posts
possibly have a bad winding in the starter? my truck turns over slower at -35, but not extremely slow.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i am in the exact same place...if my trucks cold it just cranks..slow... tonight i started coldest yet somewhere around -5ish...but i tried -15 last week and that was a no go, drained the batts. batteries are new this past fall so i know its not that. i put new contacts and plunger in that helped for the initial startup but still. i watch videos of guys cranking at -4999 degrees and they crank somewhat fast compared to mine(ours). just can't get the compression when its that cold. once its warm that thing explodes to life without a problem. i'm thinking my next step is to replace allllll of my battery cables, or just buy a new starter :(

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Take it to autozone and have them hook their electrical system testerto it. Most can check amp draw on the starter. This is a common issue though. My 2010 cranks slow too cold but fires up easy. I just changedmy dads starter for him on his 6.0L as it was startin hard cold. Starter was 6 years old so it was the original and needed it anyways. Now at -10 tonight spind like a champ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i took mine into napa and they checked my starter, everything was fine, i just need to depress the pedal when the wait to start light is on and then i hold it down 1/4 the way when i start it, havent had any problems since

1 - 5 of 5 Posts