Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cold morning humm/buzz

2398 28
Here in Ohio, it has been pretty cold the past 2 weeks. Here recently when I've went out and started my truck in the morning, as soon as it fires up, I hear a humming/buzzing noise coming from under my hood for maybe 20-30 seconds. I'm assuming this is my injection pump making this noise? I'm not sure what my fuel pressure is, my edge cts got stolen, haven't been able to replace it yet. Is this something that is common with these vp44s in the cold or is they're a problem?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The FICM is bad. NM VP
15,537 Posts
Here in Ohio, it has been pretty cold the past 2 weeks. Here recently when I've went out and started my truck in the morning, as soon as it fires up, I hear a humming/buzzing noise coming from under my hood for maybe 20-30 seconds. I'm assuming this is my injection pump making this noise? I'm not sure what my fuel pressure is, my edge cts got stolen, haven't been able to replace it yet. Is this something that is common with these vp44s in the cold or is they're a problem?
How cold are you talking? Have you checked your power steering fluid?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Between 5-30 degrees fahrenheit here recently is when I've noticed it. I have not checked my p/s fluid recently.

·
The FICM is bad. NM VP
15,537 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to check that then. See if it's full of course but also look for pink/foamy lookin stuff on top or throughout. Smell it too. Normal P/S fluid should smell like carrot juice (you may laugh, but that's what it reminds me of).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm, I wouldn't expect that. Is it because its getting weak, or the fluid being thick, or just how it is?

·
Registered
583 Posts
My fluid looked dirty and maybe water contaminated... I suspect it was starting to freeze up a bit. New fluid quieted her down, though my fan clutch sounds goofy under 30* or so. But that's totally unrelated... haha

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with the power steering being your issue, mine has done it three different times in the last few weeks when it was below 20deg F. You can feel it a little in the steering wheel and the brake pedal, mine does it for a few min and when it gets warm it stops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
The FICM is bad. NM VP
15,537 Posts
Hm, I wouldn't expect that. Is it because its getting weak, or the fluid being thick, or just how it is?
All of the above could be the case. As it ages the fluid will absorb moisture, which basically reduces the oils ability to do the things the oil is designed to do. Power steering fluid is a service item for this reason. There are also contaminants that come from inside the steering/hydro components that are just normal parts of wear and tear in that system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only had the truck around 5 months. I'm going to be doing fluid/filter changes at 200k, I'm at 199k right now so I will be sure to change it out.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
My fluid looked dirty and maybe water contaminated... I suspect it was starting to freeze up a bit. New fluid quieted her down, though my fan clutch sounds goofy under 30* or so. But that's totally unrelated... haha
I've got the hum under 0* and my fan clutch sounds like a cute little birdie until it warms up too. 260k, stock ps, stock fc. :hehe:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started my truck up tonight for the first time today, temperature was around 38 degrees. The buzz wasn't there.

·
The FICM is bad. NM VP
15,537 Posts
At 260k that ps pump has made only about a bazillion revolutions.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mine made a HORRIBLE noise at 10°.. but it was low, and I think trying to pump a mixture of air and fluid was causing the horrible 'growl'.. I am hoping this was also the cause of a 'whistle' type noise I was having at highway speeds. :pray:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just made a post about the same thing, ill have to try the PS fluid. I did notice my power steering was a little shaky the other day.

Reactions: Nicks24valve

·
Registered
331 Posts
im in the same boat as all ya'll....humm/buzz on cold starts for a few seconds...gotta get around to changin out my fluid i guess...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.