Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Codes after latest flash

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  RegenerationCompleted 
#1 ·
EGR has been unpluged about 7000miles, only code ever had was P0405. Never have seen cat/dpf messages on overhead, till now. I am currently working in a small town only travel 2 miles a day. Ever week like clock work get the cat/dpf need to regen message. So I have to take it down the road and let her do her thing. So I pluged EGR back up, cleared the code and went to get lastest and greates flash on 3-25-09. Unpluged EGR. Now today 3-28-09 get that cat/dpf message again. So off a driving we go again to nowhere. Till she cleared herself. Parked it and checked the codes with the key switch and now getting P1451 and the usual P405. For the fun of it I pulged EGR back in but did not start truck and did key code thing again no codes. Unpluged still without starting. and checked codes again back to P1451 and P405. Maybe new flash is doing this? Any ideas out there?:S::banghead:

#3 ·
You may want to consider taking the truck for a good cleaning drive on the hiway. It really takes about 20 miles or so at hiway speeds for the DPF to really clean. I suggest you do that and see what comes of it. You can leave the EGR unplugged. It will clean better since it will be reduced soot into the front of the motor.
Go for a nice lunch trip or something. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Hi Dar

P1451 is a DPF system performance error. The Diagnostic tree is determined by the results of a black smoke test. If it passed then a mobil desoot regen process may clear it up. If it fails the black smoke test, then it needs a DPF and an extensive system inspection, comprehensive tests , cleaning and replacement of other failed components to restore the system to a "Like New" state.
(That the short version, the actual procedures actually include 3 interelated TSB's).
Charlie

#5 · (Edited)
What I was getting at is. When I plug EGR back in and then check the codes the P1451 is gone. The EGR code is still there unless I cycle 4 times or clear with a reader.
Mainly trying to figure if the P1451 is just a bogus code I am getting while EGR is unplugged. Started this since last flash.

#6 ·
Hi
The code is not bogus it's real. There are components before the DPF that can become failed while the EGR is unplugged such as the DOC & the NAC. I guess you want someone to tell you that there is no harm or downside to leaving your EGR unplugged.
Some may pull it off due to their driving styles & routes. Driving 2 miles a day you may not be so lucky.
I will defer this thread to anyone who wants to tell Dar what he wants to hear.
Charlie

#7 ·
I understand what you're saying. I was wanting to know why does the P1451 code goes away as soon as you plug EGR back in. So when I bring truck in will they be able to see the P1451 code?

#8 ·
You may not have to bring it in. You only got the flash last Wed. The new software is packed with changes that are beneficial to maintaining system integrity. At this point in time I can't get a fix on the impact of disconnecting the EGR & it's relationship to that code, time & feedback will tell.
It's quite early in the warranty life of your vehicle, so you have time to see what going on. Why jeapordize it? Leave the EGR plugged for now. Did they give you the Doccumentation kit with the Visor sticker, revised owner manual , CD & DVD?. The flash now allows for a Net Reduction idle function(Regen) , where formerly the vehicle would soot up at idle. Give it a chance, get the feel of the new stuff & make better, more informed decisions later.

Charlie

#9 ·
If I remember correct about this time last year got the G30 recall and updated flash with sticker under hood reads AX. Also had the idle up feature. They gave DVD and visor sticker.
Then several months later when hurricane was coming and was getting ready to evac. Got the 2242 code (If I remember correct) finally found a dealer to take care of this before everything was locked down. They tapped turbo and did whatever they had to do. After all of this I found this forum, and read up on EGR unplugging. Most of the time I drive 70 miles a day and pull a trailer 500 miles a month.

#10 ·
With the 3/25/09 flash you will be up to BA , even if they didn't put a sticker under the hood. But if they flashed the CCN you should see some other messages in the ohc. Again, there are many here that have the new flash & run without EGR connected but do not have that code, so I'm not convinced that all is well. Others can chime in to report. I'm from the "operate it the way it was designed club" , so that is my advice.
Charlie

#11 ·
Overhead looks same as always has. Must not have done the CCN. I am currently in a very small town working. Brought truck in for dash pad recall and asked that they check for updates. Should have waited on flash update till I got back home. Since one of the guys said we don't see many of these in here. Also had them change out fuel filter, when I walked back in the bay and was talking to mechanic he said this was the first one of these he has changed! He was looking for filter on top side.

#12 ·
Hi
When you get back home you can have them check the CCN version it should be
05172187AG (or higher) = 2007 DH (2500) .
Ask them for the latest Documentation Kit
and the ohc messages should match the text in the DVD & revised owner manual.

Sounds like they were "clueless" (at the dealer there)it happens. The Tech's service a broad range of products and not all are up on everything.

I have 7 techs , 5 have completed all of the diesel schools, the other 2 are scheduled, but only 2, my foreman & my Sprinter tech are allowed to work on the Cummins.
Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.