Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I was driving today and my 2007 5.9 threw some codes and started running horrable. My first reaction was water in fuel so I drained about a quart, it didn't improve anything. I parked the truck at a buddies house and we took his to do what we had to do. Truck sat for about 2 hours, I started and it started fine, rough idled for about 10 seconds and has run fine ever since. Now second thought is my fuel filter and air filter need changeing. So I stop at auto zone on the way home, truck running fine but code still present, I buy a fuel filter, air filter, a bottle of Sea Foam, and a bottle of Diesel Kleen. While there I have them pull the codes its a P205 and a P2xxx something I don't remember, what it boils down to was an injector code. Now part of the explanation of the code was clogged or dirty injector which would explain why truck is running fine now. So I drive home change the filters and disconnect both negative battery cables hoping it would clear the codes, no go.

So after that long explanation I guess my questions are:
1. If a clogged or dirty injector is/was my issue will it clear itself out after so many start ups with no issue?
2. If the above is not correct how can I clear my codes?
3. Assuming I still have an issue what should I consider to remedy it? Will I need new injectors? IS there a way to test the injectors?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,611 Posts
Yep, you can replace 1 injector at a time. Either the injector coil is gone bad or the harness where it goes thru the valve cover gasket is bad.

You can ohm each piece out independently and see for sure but bet it is and injector coil going bad and it will show if you ohm the injector.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so to ohm test them do I still need to pull the Valve cover? And where am I chacking them? I know from the prior thread they need to be 0-1ohms

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would an injectopr fall under the 100,000 power train warranty on Cummins?

·
Premium Member
15,611 Posts
Actually, the injector itslef should be under .5 ohms if you have a good DVOM. The combination of the harness thru the VC gasket and the injector should be 1 ohm or less.

To test just the injector take the nuts loose that hold the harness on and remove it before testing across the posts.

Injectors should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I went out this morning started the truck and as expected it ran like a champ, the engine light was on. I put it in reverse backed out of the driveway, put it in drive and accellerated adn the Check Engine light went out.

Drove the truck to work fine no light, drove it around town a little got it up just shy of running temp, ran fine no light.

I replaced the fuel filter yestarday and drained about a quart of fuel along with adding some Seafoam and Deisel Kleen. Could it be my issue was a clogged injector and I cleared the clog there for clearing the codes and solving my Issue? One of the explanations for the P205 code was injector dirty or clogged.

I am going to drive it and observe it over the next few days and if issue doesn't return I'm gonna call it fixed

·
Premium Member
15,611 Posts
If you have so much stuff in there that clogged the part of the injector that would cause that error you have major problems and catastrophic is near. The parts of the injector that can clog should be relatively clean, about the only thing it could be is external and carboned over tip.

If you can, hook a nice heavy traile rto it and drive the snot out of it for a day. That will do a lot to clena up the tips.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have access to a heavy trailer right now But I can get it on the highway and dog it. I just can't forsee these major issues with a truck having only 60,000 miles on it. If it throws a code again I'm gonna bring it to dodge.
I am getting my oil changed this weekend and I will ask the Deisel Machanic whats covered under warrenty and whats not.

·
Premium Member
15,611 Posts
Filtration is your friend, add a 2 micron filter between the OE housing and CP-3 for best results.

The best luck I have had when DD'ing it all the time is run a micture of Power Service and 2 stroke oil in every tank. 175k on injectors with no issues so i believe it works.

If it is an electrical problem its just something that slipped thru QA. Nature of the beast.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well here I sit a little over a month later and twice in one week I got codes again. I did the turn key code read and got the reoccuring P205 and P2149 and also a P0483 this time. I am going to call Dodge and make an appointment monday to have them pull the codes and diagnose it and hopefully fix in under warrenty. I do have a 65HP Quad chip, do you think they will give me a hassle over this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts