Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

code u0001 can bus

40291 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  cumminsturbofreak
what exactly does this mean i finally got my truck back with the lift on drove fine yesterday and this morning when i was leaving for work my parking brake light, abs light, and check engine light are all on and it's throwin the u0001 code?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
My truck just started giving that same code U0001 this week. It has done it 4 times so far. I am looking for some imput too on this

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found out it's got somethin to do with the tcm..but i think my problem came from a update from a smarty and now that it's out its thrown it ever since and ive cleared it 4 times but keeps coming back on.

· Registered
179 Posts
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! bump my truck is now starting to loss power when this code is there and the gauges are bouncing all over the place. damn U0001

· Registered
179 Posts
I will try taking the harnesses off tomorrow thanks for the input

· Registered
92 Posts
Mine started throwing this same code anyone figure it out?

· Registered
2010 Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Auto, 4x4
1,182 Posts
I know, I'm in the 3rd Gen Section - I've been dealing with this code for about a year and half (maybe longer), along with U0121 and U0141. I didn't have a problem for over 6 months, then I helped someone out with similar codes and these all popped up again the very next day. There should be a NHTSA safety recall to make Chrysler fix this problem without us having to pay for it. When these codes pop up, I lose the Engine Brake and cruise control, though they can be turned back on without clearing the codes. The instrument cluster goes haywire and a couple days ago I noticed the trailer brake controller was malfunctioning (CF I believe was listed on the display and the slider wouldn't do anything). Imagine if you were pulling a trailer, down a mountain and you lost the use of your EB and trailer brakes - sounds like something that NHTSA needs to get involved with. I am out of warranty, but we shouldn't have to pay to fix their crap that they won't let companies like Drew Tech incorporate dealer level diagnostics into their equipment so we can fix it ourselves.

I have found though that the only time this seems to occur is during the hot months here in Las Vegas. I didn't have a single issue during the cold months.

· Registered
59 Posts
I know, I'm in the 3rd Gen Section - I've been dealing with this code for about a year and half (maybe longer), along with U0121 and U0141. I didn't have a problem for over 6 months, then I helped someone out with similar codes and these all popped up again the very next day. There should be a NHTSA safety recall to make Chrysler fix this problem without us having to pay for it. When these codes pop up, I lose the Engine Brake and cruise control, though they can be turned back on without clearing the codes. The instrument cluster goes haywire and a couple days ago I noticed the trailer brake controller was malfunctioning (CF I believe was listed on the display and the slider wouldn't do anything). Imagine if you were pulling a trailer, down a mountain and you lost the use of your EB and trailer brakes - sounds like something that NHTSA needs to get involved with. I am out of warranty, but we shouldn't have to pay to fix their crap that they won't let companies like Drew Tech incorporate dealer level diagnostics into their equipment so we can fix it ourselves.

I have found though that the only time this seems to occur is during the hot months here in Las Vegas. I didn't have a single issue during the cold months.
[/QUOTE

I know it has been a long time since this has been talked about but did you ever get an actual fix on this issue? Thanks

Reactions: 6.7L_MegaCab

· Registered
2010 Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Auto, 4x4
1,182 Posts
I know it has been a long time since this has been talked about but did you ever get an actual fix on this issue? Thanks
No, I haven't. It's tempered itself way down over the years. I'll get a U0141 every now and then. A U0100 pops up once in a blue moon, which I believe is what keeps the truck from starting - this momentarily happened in the summer of 2019, but woke up after a few minutes. I'm 99% certain it's wiring at this point or maybe a cold solder joint inside the TIPM, but I haven't had the desire to even look into it much further as the years went by. If I'm driving when it happens, I just go into the Black Maxx, reset the codes and keep on trucking. Fortunately, it has never happened while pulling my toy hauler or any trailer for that matter.

Every time I've attempted to look into using the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool, it's never active, so even the service manual points to troubleshooting intermittent conditions, which is basically wiring. I've never been able to get it replicate while diagnosing after clearing the codes. I think in 2015 I spent a Saturday trying to shoot wires with no resolve (all good), but I was doing it by myself, which makes it more of a challenge to wiggle wires while doing continuity checks.

· Admin/Mod
I Still Know Nothing
3,779 Posts
Old thread, but just posting for info.

If a U code stating lost comms with TIPM/BCM is only thrown on the PCM, then likely culprit would be Can C Bus or 12volt wiring to the PCM or the PCM itself.

If you see a lost comm to TIPM on every Can C bus module (ABS, PCM/ECM, etc.) it’s likely the fault would be somewhere in the Can C Bus wiring or TIPM internal.

If you see lost comm to TIPM on every interior Can Bus module (radio, hvac, ccn(cluster), etc.) it’s likely the fault would be Can B (Can IHS if 2010+) wiring or TIPM internal.

If you see lost comms to TIPM everywhere... check wiring contacts to TIPM for looseness or corrosion... if that doesn’t work, replace TIPM.

Exception to all of these is if you’ve had a power failure at one point (weak batt, blown fuse, etc). Those lost comms codes will popup when that happens. So when you see it, clear ALL codes and see what comes back.

Anyone who reads this post (specifically talking about newbs here) should go through the diagnostics steps I’ve preached about. Do not PM me asking for help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.