Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, my 2018 Ram 3500 with 10,250 miles recently gave me my first CEL. I looked it up and it mentioned a heater related to the start up of my truck.

I don't live in a cold climate and I have low miles.

Anyone else experience this code? What were your findings?

I ask because it's my daily driver and I need it for work. Dealer can fit me in until for over a week. Wondering how detrimental it may be?

·
Cummins Freak
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
i'm going through the same dubacle. it is covered under warranty but they can't get it in till 20 nov. well the grid heater itself is. the relay sends power to the grid heater large wire. my wires insulation has shrunk. i spoke w the mechanic at dealership and he said he has see. grid heaters fail, he hasn't seen the bolt fall off yet and claims he hasn't seen a failed relay.

after i get the grid heater replaced i will be deactivating it by removing the power wire from
battery to relay.

·
Registered
13,931 Posts
Question, my 2018 Ram 3500 with 10,250 miles recently gave me my first CEL. I looked it up and it mentioned a heater related to the start up of my truck.

I don't live in a cold climate and I have low miles.

Anyone else experience this code? What were your findings?

I ask because it's my daily driver and I need it for work. Dealer can fit me in until for over a week. Wondering how detrimental it may be?
GRID HEATER ABNORMAL VOLTAGE DETECTED

Grid heater operates no matter what temp, so climate makes no difference. This issue won't keep it from running, will keep remote start from working. If you do experience very cold weather, could make it take a bit more turnover to start.

Just wait for your turn in line at the dealer and don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the replies. Sucks to have something like this with so little miles. Got me thinking about buying the extended warranty. I guess I'll wait in line for my turn.

Oddly this all started with a failed remote start. The morning of the CEL I pushed remote start and it died. Jump in my truck and there's the CEL to greet me. Fantastic! Won't be using the remote start anymore.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
i'm sure the grid heater failed then started the issue w remote start. once it's replaced you can simply unhook the lead going to relay from battery, or rather unbolt the lead at the battery.

from
what i understand it's the same grid heater in all the 6.7s but only 13 and up experience this. ie been told it's probably an issue with the way the grid heater is programmed to operate for emissions purposes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i'm sure the grid heater failed then started the issue w remote start. once it's replaced you can simply unhook the lead going to relay from battery, or rather unbolt the lead at the battery.

from
what i understand it's the same grid heater in all the 6.7s but only 13 and up experience this. ie been told it's probably an issue with the way the grid heater is programmed to operate for emissions purposes.
Maybe it's just paranoia from reading about the grid heater issues, so I'm trying to understand what the best way to proceed is. I'll likely just do nothing, but was curious if disconnecting the battery lead to the relay, or disconnecting the grid heater in general, will always trigger a CEL.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I pulled the two little wires, cleaned the posts and connections and coated them in dialectic grease. Error has never come back. My error was only on long trips and would disappear before I could get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Newer truck but with low miles. Had similar incident. Truck sat in the cold for 3 weeks not driven. Low juice message to grid heater. Cleared the code, put the truck on the charger and was good to go again.

Sometimes we just drive them enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts