Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking for codes on my truck using my smarty and saw code P0216 displayed no check eng light or any thing like that. I cleared the code went on short camping trip towing my 30 ft 5th wheel re checked same code. I didn't notice any performance problems This was with smart set for stock and my edge comp on 1. Reset again got home same code this time with edge turned off. I think I'm screwed
Any Ideas??

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Unfortunatly, I must agree.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buy the way I only have 43000 miles on truck. What could of cause this I Have had a Fass fuel system on this truck for a couple of years, could the Edge or Smarty cause this or both

·
Registered
575 Posts
P0216: VP-44 Death Code?

Just last week I learned my truck has the P0216 error code. I've read several remarks that this code is the "VP-44 death code." The repair manual, however, lists this code as:

Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure: High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure, or possible wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.​
Soon after finding that error code I determined that the lift pump was dead, which makes perfect sense considering the error code reported that there was a high fuel supply restriction and/or low fuel pressure.

But the truck runs fine - no dead pedal, no smoke, no miss - none of the symptoms that I've read indicate the VP-44 is on it's way out. If the VP-44 allows the truck to run fine as it is now, without a lift pump at all, then a logical conclusion (for me) is that replacing the lift pump will bring the fuel system back to a healthy condition. i.e., a new lift pump will correct the error code message so that the fuel system will be no longer be running with a high fuel supply restriction and/or low fuel pressure...

I'm not saying the VP-44 hasn't been burdened by the exercise, but I am saying I have no reason to believe it has been ruined and needs replaced.

[Expected response: "You might not now, but you soon will!"]

- djb

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same code on my truck and it runs fine just doesn't feel like 100% power and when I install the superchip on perf. there is no gain at all... and my code says p0216 injection pump timing cuircuit malfunction. The truck was like this when I bought it and the lift pump was dead I installed a airdog right away but it is still the same, So I am driving it untill I get a pump or a common rail. I can't decide I want a Megacab Dually bad and fon't want to install a vp if I am going to trade it in

·
Registered
575 Posts
Burple24v said:
I have the same code on my truck...I installed a airdog right away but it is still the same...
Did you clear the P0216 error code after the AirDog was installed?

That's gonna be my next question (after I get a new lift pump installed): how to clear the P0216 error code? I believe the only way to clear codes is with some kind of scan tool, like this ScanGauge.

- djb

·
MS Chapter President
3,029 Posts
I was checking for codes on my truck using my smarty and saw code P0216 displayed no check eng light or any thing like that. I cleared the code went on short camping trip towing my 30 ft 5th wheel re checked same code. I didn't notice any performance problems This was with smart set for stock and my edge comp on 1. Reset again got home same code this time with edge turned off. I think I'm screwed
Any Ideas??
It may run fine like that forever. I put 8k on mine before the first VP if I remember right. I had an 0216 for a long time. You will eventually get either dead pedal or it will just die and be done. If you get the dead pedal like I did it may go for a long time. Either way it could be 1 mile or 10k miles. I would consider looking into a new pump.

·
Registered
631 Posts
not 100% sure but you could try taking neg. bat cables off turning key to start and holding it there for like 10sec. then wait for a couple min.s then hook it all back up. worth a shot in my opinion.

·
MS Chapter President
3,029 Posts
not 100% sure but you could try taking neg. bat cables off turning key to start and holding it there for like 10sec. then wait for a couple min.s then hook it all back up. worth a shot in my opinion.
He can clear pump codes all he wants but they dont show up for no reason.

·
Registered
575 Posts
2141pete said:
He can clear pump codes all he wants but they dont show up for no reason.
If the P0216 code is, as the repair manual states, for a high fuel supply restriction and/or low fuel pressure, then it stands to reason that replacing the lift pump could clear that code. That's why I want to clear the code after the LP install.

- djb

·
MS Chapter President
3,029 Posts
If the P0216 code is, as the repair manual states, for a high fuel supply restriction and/or low fuel pressure, then it stands to reason that replacing the lift pump could clear that code. That's why I want to clear the code after the LP install.

- djb
Very well good luck. Like I said it might not be today or tomorrow, but start saving.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
put the new pump and clear the code and see what she does. my vp died at 70,000 and it would run fine. there was a miss while cruising but nothing else. then one day. i was backing the truck and she died. started and died. then ran fine for 2 months. went to a job interview and then boom. she died. it took me 15 minutes of cranking and she finally started. got to the shop and sure enough p0216. got a new vp and i noticed better power and mpgs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
2141pete said:
Very well good luck. Like I said it might not be today or tomorrow, but start saving.
If it spits out the P0216 code with a healthy lift pump, then yes.

I'm just sayin'...

- djb

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i hope you have better luck than i did cause that dang vp is expensive. but if you do get one then i would go for the new bd pump.

·
Registered
575 Posts
nbaca said:
i hope you have better luck than i did cause that dang vp is expensive. but if you do get one then i would go for the new bd pump.
I hear ya! $$
$$

What do you mean by new bd pump, One of these?

- djb

·
MS Chapter President
3,029 Posts
Not trying to get into a pi$$ing match by any means here,

:p0216 Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction
OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

I just think If he has a FASS and has good FP to it there is no other reason for it to show up. I hope it's wrong and he can save the money I've spent twice but I dont want him to think it's not comming.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Please don't misunderstand, I ain't arguing. I'm low on the learning curve here...

The Dodge repair manual I have lists P0215 as the circuit failure, and P0216 as a fuel pressure prollem.

P0215 - Fuel Injection Pump Control Circuit
Failure in fuel pump relay control circuit.

P0216 (M) - Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure
High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible
wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.​

And to clarify, the code showed up on my truck with a dead lift pump. I want to replace the LP, clear the code, and see if the code reappears.

- djb

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a scanner and also had it hooked to a snap-on modis and it comes up p0216 timing Circuit malfunction. and I have cleared it acouple times after the airdog and it just comes right back no matter what... I know I need a vp I had a dead pedal for awhile and it went away now it just comes back when on the highway

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts