Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, curious if you could help suggest a few clutches out there on the market. The only one I've looked at so far is the ATS 550 hp. I'm thinking between 450 and 550 hp should be a good start and give me room for plenty of mods in the future. Thanks! Yz,

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a Valair FE and it has never slipped. It's a good bit grabbier than the stock clutch, but that's the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
i also have the valair FE clutch, and am not too pleased. It has never slipped but is grabby as hell and is good for nothing but towing. you cannot do 3rd gear boosted launches with it or pull a sled so the only thing useful out of this clutch is for towing. if i were you i would go ahead and spend a little extra cash on a dual disk and be set for a long long time. i wish i would have done this to begin with.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
South Bend is also a popular clutch. Valair and South Bend are both sponsors of Cummins Forum, don't hesitate to post to the in their vendor forum and get information directly from the manufacturer.

You are approaching it corrrectly IMO. Understand your current and future requirements. Then go shopping.

I went with the SB CON OFE. It has one organic face and one feramic face. It is very drivable and should hold 450HP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input dad, greatly appreciated. And I see people using the IMO acronym a lot. Just curious what this means? I'll look into talking to southbend and valair.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i also have the valair FE clutch, and am not too pleased. It has never slipped but is grabby as hell and is good for nothing but towing. you cannot do 3rd gear boosted launches with it or pull a sled so the only thing useful out of this clutch is for towing.
It's supposed to be grabby. Of course you can't do boosted launches or pull a sled with a single disk clutch. Surely you knew this when you bought it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
South Bend... nuff said.

had an OFE. Was a great clutch and held more power than it was rated for but it's time had past so now I'm running a dual disc...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Both Valair and SB have options that meet your needs. I have a Valair and love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts