Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck just turned 16k., 3.42 gears, 35's and no mods. Anyone else experiencing this? I have only towed 6,000lb truck less than 100 miles and I don't drive aggressive.

Dealer will not warrenty new clutch.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think they only go 12k on the clutch for warranty

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Correct. I saw where someone else found out the hard way.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No warranty is because clutch is a normal wear item and everyone drives differantly. When I drove a manual my foot was completely off the pedal as soon as I shifted and when I set at a light it was in neutral and foot was completley off the clutch 100K miles no problem. The majority of people I have been with driving manuals never take their foot off the clutch and that causes unneeded wear on the throwout bearing and the clutch its self. How do you drive yours?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Truck just turned 16k., 3.42 gears, 35's and no mods. Anyone else experiencing this? I have only towed 6,000lb truck less than 100 miles and I don't drive aggressive.

Dealer will not warrenty new clutch.
Your tall gears and larger tires are putting a big load on that clutch. You might talk to one of the clutch manufactures on CF about an upgrade. I don't think another factory clutch will last if you did get it warrantied.

·
Registered
860 Posts
no offense but either you dont know how to drive it right or its your gearing and tires. at stock power the thing shud last a good while. but i guess there are alot of variables. i just put the 3600 dual disc in mine 2 weeks ago and kudnt be happier

·
Registered
133 Posts
my clutch went out at 15k miles. I towed a 40ft. flatbed prob 10k of them.. dealer replaced mine no questions asked.. guess i just got lucky

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to a buddy at the dealership he said that he has replaced 3 clutches on 2010's around 17k.

Warrenty is 12K.

Talked with South Bend they recommended DD 3250.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Almost 17K on my truck now. Only time I've had the clutch slip is with the higher MM tunes. We'll see how it holds come camping season but running empty here in ID I have no issues. Will be interested in a nice single disk when I save up some coin.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Tyler,

I have heard a few of these heavy-duty clutches. You may want to find out how much noise they make before you purchase one. Some of them can be pretty noisy.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,458 Posts
It's not the gearing/tire combo. I have 3.42 gearing and, up until about 4000 miles ago, 35" tires (running 37" tires now). I presently have a little over 88500 on the truck and the OEM clutch is still working. Granted, even SW3 will slip the clutch pulling 10K lbs. uphill at 65mph but it has done that since ~35000 miles. Under stock power, no slipping until recently. I'm pretty sure it's about gone but that is fine, I got more out of it than I thought I would.

If you are slipping under stock power with only 6K lbs. behind you, there is either something mechanically wrong with the clutch/drivetrain or mechanically wrong with the way you handle the truck. Even with taller tires, there is no way a clutch should only last 16K miles on a 3/4 ton pickup pulling that light a load.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2010 with 3.42 is doing good but was wondering about my clutch since I always start out with 2nd gear unless pulling a trailered load. 2nd gear seems like 1st without load. What are you guys doing from the stop? Starting with 1st or 2nd?

I only have 2K on my truck. Loving it so far. Planning to do the deletes and EGR/cooler deletes with MM in the spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not too worried about the noise. I am more concerned with the shifting smoothness. I drove a 01' with a South Bend DD and it was a little stubborn to shift. But I guess it is something that you get used to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my tech at the dealership said their is only a 12k warrenty on the clutch. as for the 3.42 gears and the 35's that is putting no more work on the clutch then if you were pulling a goose neck work trailer with a load every day... which is what these trucks were made for.. no offence but it might just eather be the way you are driving or you just hit a bad luck clutch. mine was replaced at 7000 but that is because it would not go into reverse low or 2nd with out using both hands to pull it in.. there is a bunch of fingers around the outside of the clutch to keep inline and the tabs broke off that hold the fingers in place from sliding side to side. but he said there was no sign of ware on mine and i tow 5000 lbs all day 6 days a week and i have 35's and i don't drive it easy. i have a heavy foot problem that i just cant seem to kick..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
As above unless its a rolling stop then I just leave it in 3rd. I try to use the clutch pedal as little as I can - depress and release as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I am not too worried about the noise. I am more concerned with the shifting smoothness. I drove a 01' with a South Bend DD and it was a little stubborn to shift. But I guess it is something that you get used to.
Yeah you get used to it and the clutch gets smoother after a while. I have just under 1500 miles on my 3250 and its much smoother than when it was brand new. I love the clutch, it can be noisy at times but it's the nature of the beast.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,458 Posts
As above unless its a rolling stop then I just leave it in 3rd. I try to use the clutch pedal as little as I can - depress and release as quickly as possible.
Plus one...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts