Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated smarty jr to tow mode last night from economy mode and noticed the clutch slipping on the way home from work. Just curious if any smarty jr users with manuals could recommend a stock clutch friendly tune that can still put some power to the ground. I have almost 53k on the stock clutch and have never had any problems previously. I am just running dpf and egr deletes with no other mods. I read 20+ pages of the smarty jr what you running thread last night and would like a synopsis of what guys running the stock manuals would recommend. I may go back to economy if I can't get it figured out since I have never had a problem...I will say that the timing rattle on the top end was far less prevalent as opposed to the econo tune. I like the feel of the towing tune minus the slippage, but don't want to be on the path of replacing the clutch in the NEAR future if I can help it. So, let's hear what you guys have to say!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I slipped mine the first day I put the Smarty in mine. Now it will slip even in SW1 if I get on it in 5th or 6th in the bottom end or if Im pulling a big hill with the horse trailer on in 6th. Im looking for ideas on which on to buy as well. SB or Valair?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had my smarty and deletes since 47k and ran it on sw0 for the first couple of months but wanted a little more power so I bumped it up to econo and then to towing last night since I had read that the mileage was a little better (oddly enough). I know I'm just buying time on the stock clutch but I really do want the most bang for my buck! I'm just wondering if some of the parameters of the smarty are a little better if you set them yourself, just too chicken chit to try it on my own! haha

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Both South Bend and Valair make good clutches. I looked into both companies for my clutch and decided to go with South Bend. I've used SB clutches in many different vehicles and have had nothing but great success. I've never used the Valair so I can't give a comparison. I got the dual disk 3250.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to be a richard but that doesn't really help me. I am well aware that they both make good products but I'm not in the market at the time.

·
4,677 Posts
^^^ I am not trying to be a RICHARD either BUT,,,,, If youre slipping the clutch in tow mode then, you are (will be) in the market for a new clutch. If it slipped all the way home like you said, and werent even towing, youre just on borrowed time. If you want to save the clutch for any amount of time, put it back to stock or economy and take it real easy. If you dont want to baby the truck, then turn up the power until it finally dies, then install a new clutch ! IMHO

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't ever had any other issues with the clutch slipping since I got the truck and it never slipped in econo setting. It's not slipping really bad and it only did it 2-3 times on the way home. I don't doubt that my clutch is worn but I do find it kinda strange that bumping to tow mode and now all of a sudden it starts to slip. Is there any other program that I can run with the tqm turned down other than econo that you might suggest? I haven't messed with any of the parameters other than the cookie cutter tunes that come on the jr, kinda scared to honestly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
the pressure plate does not have enough clamping load to hold it together. need to drop the power one notch at a time until it goes away. but as stated, your only on borrowed time. CRs make a crap ton of torque very low when chipped and the stock pressure plate just aint got it. Drop the power, start saving money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a smarty junior in my truck, it was put in at like 32K and now have 55k. I only turned up the power when I first got it and at 40k ish I put in economy mode and Have never slipped even pulling hills with a trailer or racing friends off stoplights.
If you are already slipping I would say turn it back down and drive it until the clutch goes. My buddy has one that is always turned up ad his clutch slips and has been for like 2 1/2 years now, he just cant step on it anymore.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man that sucks, looks like I'll be turning it back down later today. Thanks for all the info!

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
I slipped mine the first day I put the Smarty in mine. Now it will slip even in SW1 if I get on it in 5th or 6th in the bottom end or if Im pulling a big hill with the horse trailer on in 6th. Im looking for ideas on which on to buy as well. SB or Valair?
Exact same thing mine is doing. Once I sell my bull in March, a SB 3250 is coming my way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The engineers at Dodge really did their homework when it came to clutches in our trucks. Seems they where designed to hold exactly what the engine puts out and not a ft lb or a hp more. Mine started slipping right after I did the deletes and loaded sw2. I'm the second owner of the truck and didn't know what to expect when I pulled it out but to my surprise the clutch was perfect (even with 68k on it) so it is the pressure plates they just don't have the clamping force. I went with a Valair DD it is pretty noisy but it does hold very well. If your not up for the noise I believe SB makes a "quiet version" now as well

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm running an automatic, but I recommend keeping it on the Tow setting and turning "up" your Torque Management (i.e. "down" on produced torque). The lower the TM number, the less torque the Smarty Jr. allows produced at low-rpm. I could really see a difference when playing with the TM numbers, and I think you could use the power of the Tow tune to keep rolling, but change to TM=0 to save your clutch.

My recommendation:
SW=2-Tow
Torque=0
Timing=Default

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have a question about these smarty settings. you guys keep referring to econ and tow setting but from my readings smarty doesn't actually label them for econo and towing. Are you guys just making your own tow and econo setting by trail and error? Picking a SW number then adjusting torque and timing setting within the sw # level?

or are you referring a certain sw level as the econo or tow program?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's not actually listed anywhere in the paperwork for the smarty jr but on the smarty itself when it asks you to load the tune they are listed as Econo, Tow, and Performance. Keep in mind though that's how it is with the smarty jr, I can't speak for the regular smarty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My recommendation:
SW=2-Tow
Torque=0
Timing=Default

I am new to Smarty Jr, but isn't Torque=0 the same as Torque=Default? As I understand it, Marco says that with the Default torque setting, Smarty chooses it according to the current CaTCHER level. Not trying to argue, just trying to become more educated, as I have a similar vehicle to yours.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My clutch slipped when I hammered down in 5th and 6th on economy mode. Put it back to stock setting (SW0) and its doing fine. As mentioned previously stock clutch is barely able to hold stock power

1 - 17 of 17 Posts