Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am having clutch slippage. When I have my Edge on 5 or 6 the clutch seems to slip. This is happening when I am not standing on it very hard. I only have about 35,000 miles and should not be having clutch problems. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I ran the PPE and Bully Dog this week and blew through the clutch in 3rd - 6th gear. The clutch in these trucks seem to be pretty weak. I will be going with the 3600lb DD from SBC when I get the extra cash.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Its normal. I was slipping mine @ 7k miles with the edge on 5. Its the stupid dual mass crap. I have upgraded to a Valair DD and this next weekend i am gonna be helping install a SBC DD in another 6.7.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Sadly it is normal. A new clutch is in your near future if you want to take advantage of all your power.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ran the PPE and Bully Dog this week and blew through the clutch in 3rd - 6th gear. The clutch in these trucks seem to be pretty weak. I will be going with the 3600lb DD from SBC when I get the extra cash.
You could probably aford a Valair a little quicker PM Jbarker He will give ya some good Prices and he stands by his word:beer He is a great guy and he will save ya some:$:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Its normal. I was slipping mine @ 7k miles with the edge on 5. Its the stupid dual mass crap. I have upgraded to a Valair DD and this next weekend i am gonna be helping install a SBC DD in another 6.7.
I'm curious to see which you like better - and if you think the SBC is worth the extra $$$

Does it drive/shift any different with the DD?

I float most of the time now, although I'm stock. I know I've slipped mine with the clutch a few times (building boost) and it smelled pretty good after a few stop lights. I was starting in 3rd though. I stopped doing that so much :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
You could probably aford a Valair a little quicker PM Jbarker He will give ya some good Prices and he stands by his word:beer He is a great guy and he will save ya some:$:
Thanks for the info Daledo. I have heard nothing but great things about Valair. :thumbsup

I have been buying clutches from Peter @ SBC for years. Peter has always taken excellent care of me and my friends and I will continue to buy from a loyal vendor.

·
5,055 Posts
The valair has been great, and i am curious to see the 2 side by side as well.

Driving changes a little bit but not much. Great clutch. Holds everything.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The valair has been great, and i am curious to see the 2 side by side as well.

Driving changes a little bit but not much. Great clutch. Holds everything.
Compcowboy, Does both of those clutches have the same plate load (3600lb) etc. and are they rated for the same HP? Also is the clutch material on the disc the same? Just curious has to how close in comparison they are. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
i just bought the Valair DD 3600# Plate, that clutch is pretty beefy, its pretty grabby, but that is what i wanted. good clutch so far!

·
5,055 Posts
.........how so?
Well for one, there is little to no slip in the clutch. Once it starts to engage its engaged. Also you dont wanna be running less than 1500 RPMs in any gear. At Ilde as well its a bit louder.

I believe mine is a 3200 or 3600 plate load. I will have to check for sure. It does have the upgraded center. :thumbsup

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well for one, there is little to no slip in the clutch. Once it starts to engage its engaged. Also you dont wanna be running less than 1500 RPMs in any gear. At Ilde as well its a bit louder.

I believe mine is a 3200 or 3600 plate load. I will have to check for sure. It does have the upgraded center. :thumbsup
I will run my truck around town in 5th or 6th (1200 -1400rpm) and it definetly gets better mileage (along with pretending I have an eggshell under the go-pedal). So you're sayin' with a DD you don't want to do that because of too much stress on the engine and zero slip ability of the clutch?

if so ....oh well at least I'll be doing the DPF & EGR delete here soon and that'll make up for not being able to run around town at low RPM. a DD clutch upgrade is definetly in my future - guess I'll just live with the quirks.

·
5,055 Posts
I will run my truck around town in 5th or 6th (1200 -1400rpm) and it definetly gets better mileage (along with pretending I have an eggshell under the go-pedal). So you're sayin' with a DD you don't want to do that because of too much stress on the engine and zero slip ability of the clutch?

if so ....oh well at least I'll be doing the DPF & EGR delete here soon and that'll make up for not being able to run around town at low RPM. a DD clutch upgrade is definetly in my future - guess I'll just live with the quirks.
Yeah thats about right. there is just no slop in the DD. Tolerances are very tight. :thumbsup I did the same as you before, i havent seen even as much as a .5 MPG drop as i thought i would.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If that's the case, I'm glad we're geared for the higher rpms.

I have an idea what you mean and how shifting will change. I tend to float it 90% of the time now, sometimes I'll use the clutch for 2-3 shift because it's so close together.

By Thursday I'll finally be able to open her up and let her breath. I just hope my stock cluch lasts a bit longer :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad but Sad

Glad to hear that this is normal. I was worried that I may have a rear seal spitting oil on my clutch. However, it is sad to find out that I am gonna have to fork out another 1500.00. But, a man has got to do, what a man got to do. And besides, how can one have the power and not be able to use it? That would be like showering in a rain coat. Also, this makes up my mind for my next modification! Thanks to all that have replied.:thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts