Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99' Ram 3500 5 Speed started slipping pretty badly.and I'm suspecting what I use truck for to be the culprit. My truck has a dump bed and I haul gravel,dirt,mulch in it. I also pull a trailer and buy junk cars and trucks. My question is what type of clutch should I replace the worn out stock clutch with. I carry over 4.5 tons of rock in somewhat hilly country,south central Indiana. Helps please.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The finer point is "whilst there "
Main seal?
The clutch fork assembly and ball?
examine driveshaft U-joints too.

Reactions: jkidd

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Welcome to the forums, there's lots of good information here.
I'll assume here that your clutch is properly adjusted.
I agree with the stock LUK clutch, but I tow within specs so there's that.
I replaced the one I didn't burn the heck out of when it was at about 270K and starting to slip. .

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
My 99' Ram 3500 5 Speed started slipping pretty badly.and I'm suspecting what I use truck for to be the culprit. My truck has a dump bed and I haul gravel,dirt,mulch in it. I also pull a trailer and buy junk cars and trucks. My question is what type of clutch should I replace the worn out stock clutch with. I carry over 4.5 tons of rock in somewhat hilly country,south central Indiana. Helps please.
LUK clutch if looking to remain stock. South Bend or Valair with upgraded hydraulics if looking to upgrade. A basic search would have told you the same.

·
Registered
21,734 Posts
They do wear out, but they wear faster if not used properly. Use low range if off road loaded. Don't slip it any more than you absolutely have to. Get it moving and do not slip in any gear but first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts