Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge 5.9 4X4 Quad Cab Long Bed 6 speed. It has an ATS 4000 turbo, Banks high ram elbow ,tunnel Ram intake, 100HP injectors, Industrial Injection pump, 5 inch CAI, 4 inch Banks exhaust and a Quadzilla Adreneline tuner. It has started slipping when I get to level 2 on the tuner. Level 1 is fine. Started yesterday towing my 18 ft jet boat. After dropping the boat off it still does it so I am assuming the clutch is on its way out. I don't tow a lot but I don't want problems when I do. I was told it has a Centerforce in it but going on their site I don't even see a listing for my truck. The heaviest I would pull would be my buddy's toy hauler which is 35 ft. and 16000 lbs. loaded. What would be some suggestions for this. Just started researching and there is quite a lot out there and quiet a spread on prices.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Clutch

Centerforce does make clutches for 2ng Gen trucks but they don't hold up to much over stock or abuse. As to what to replace it with, call either SouthBend or Valair, they will point you in the right direction for the appropriate replacement. Have all the details on your truck, and intended use available.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yep, both of those companies make a good quality product and are knowledgeable about what to recommend for your application. Southbend I know this personally and Valair has a good reputation also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd go with a dual disk from south bend I can tell you it's a great clutch as long as you can live with the noise.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd second the dual disc. The street manners are fine, and it'll be more than enough for what you want.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got a response from South Bend after sending two emails. It was short and with several typos. Valair has corresponded with me several times and very professional. Both suggested a dual disc with Valair being about 100.00 cheaper. Both are over 1000.00 and so far the prices are the same wherever you go. I am a little concerned on statements of noise and smoothness. Nothing worse than sitting in Los Angeles traffic with a noisy or chattering clutch.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Noise.... well considering it was new guys posting that I'll point out that both South Bend and Valiar have quiet versions of their dual disks. Southbend has had it for over a year. Valair just released theirs. Southbend has a multi friction with lower plate load which gives you a lighter clutch pedal. Both manufactures will have smooth engagement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never hear of Valair until I started researching this. I had heard of South Bend but so far Valair has been more responsive and professional to my questions. South Bend recommended their sdd 3250-6. Valair recommended their NMU70NV56DDSN-ORG OR QNV56DDSN-ORG . Anyone have any experiences with these?

Thanks

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
Contact the south bend or valair guys directly on here. My buddy had the southbend dual disk 3250 and was a decent. Easy pedal and good street manners. With all the new dual disks sound isn't really an issue and trust me you are gonna hear the engine over the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Contact the south bend or valair guys directly on here. My buddy had the southbend dual disk 3250 and was a decent. Easy pedal and good street manners. With all the new dual disks sound isn't really an issue and trust me you are gonna hear the engine over the truck.

Which SB do you have?

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
I have had both, like my Valair better, and the customer service at Valair is top notch. I can hear the floater plate in mine if the pedal is depressed and I stick my head out the window, but barely. Mine is a 3600 lb ceramic dual disk, after proper break in, and properly set up, there is no chatter and it's quite smooth!

·
I have a diesel problem..
2,300 Posts
Ive got the valair crematic dd and i love it. Great guys to deal with too!

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
Which SB do you have?

I have the ceramic 3600 dual disc. I don't recommend it for dd or towing heavy loads. Heavy pedal and rough engagement. I'm used to it now and can get a fair smooth pull out but the pressure does suck for shifting lots. Trust me I dd mine and drive it in the city

·
Registered
346 Posts
subscribed :truck: gotta buy one myself pretty soon here.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I too have subscribed. I have a FASS 150 on order. I usually drive on level 5 with 100 injectors. From the sound of it i don't think that my Carter fuel pump is really doing its job. I think that once I get the FASS installed my stock clutch will be hurting.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I just bough a NMU70NV56DDSN-ORG, getting it installed and remain seal fixed once it comes in. As for why I went with valair, well they were very fast on contacting me on what I should get for my final goal of my truck and secondly they to me were the easier of the two to get a hold fast and quick to answer questions. SB does make good clutches but, as everyone has their bias mines with valair I have friends with SB clutches and are very pleased. Just go what with you think you will have the best feeling for. as for clutches going out my hydro went out before my clutch did :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a southbend 3250 dual disc, very nice clutch, pretty smooth engagement and I can't hear any chattering or abnormal noise above the engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a Valair DD ceramic #3800 and love it. Got mine through DAP or JKIDD here on the site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts