Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience bleeding a new clutch master and slave cylinder? Gonna try and start it some evening this week...... I hope.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No body?????

I'll be working on it next weekend if anyone wants to help. Gotta get the clutch master and slave changed out, pull the headache rack and figure out what-all is gonna be involved in taking the 6" lift of of it....... Anyone stopping by to help will be fed smoked ribs or pulled pork.... ain't decided yet.

Mike

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
No body?????

I'll be working on it next weekend if anyone wants to help. Gotta get the clutch master and slave changed out, pull the headache rack and figure out what-all is gonna be involved in taking the 6" lift of of it....... Anyone stopping by to help will be fed smoked ribs or pulled pork.... ain't decided yet.

Mike
Where did you get the master and slave from?? I didn't know that there was any bleeding involved. I installed the upgraded hydraulics from South Bend several years ago and there was no bleeding involved.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got them at RockAuto.com, Raybestos brand. One of the posts in the tech sections mentioned bleeding the system was a PITA and problematic if not done correctly.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Got them at RockAuto.com, Raybestos brand. One of the posts in the tech sections mentioned bleeding the system was a PITA and problematic if not done correctly.

Did you buy them individually or as an assembly??

I'll see what I can find out about bleeding these systems.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Individually of course. I've got a shop that said they can do it. I'vr got to go back to Garden City, Strong City, Dodge City and Liberal this week and weekend.... I have no idea when I'll have to work on anything for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bleeding?

so how do you bleed the system if you just replace a component such as master cylinder. I have to do one this weekend and wonder if anybody figured it out?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on mine..... It took Tim and the guys at Expert Automotive, 945-4500 (shameless plug) a day or so to get mine to where it was driveable. Three weeks later the rest of the air is out of the lines and the peddle is back to normal. If you can, buy the complete assembly. If not Tim told me that once they got everything bolted on they put as much fluid in the slave as possible and quickly put the hard line on that was also full of fluid then hooked it up the master while it was dripping fluid. Sounds like a messy job and they went through a bunch of fluid (spillage) but they got it working and I'm very happy I didn't have to jack with it. The rest of air eventually worked itself out of the system.

Good Luck!

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info 66fj40. All I had to replace was the master and I had no problems took off the old one put in the new one and pumped the peddle a whole bunch, but works good saved me about $175 @ the dodge dealership to buy the whole kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bleeding the slave

Where did you get the master and slave from?? I didn't know that there was any bleeding involved. I installed the upgraded hydraulics from South Bend several years ago and there was no bleeding involved.
I just finished bleeding my slave 98 3500 5.9 5 speed. I took the slave went by auto parts store bought the smallest bleeding valve they had the valve and stim must be tapered. Then went to garys and son in Humble texas had them drill and tap a hole in the end of the slave install the bleeder valve and there you are a factor made bleeding on the slave. My cell phone is 832-331-9353 call me if you have a question I will take pic's and send them to you.

I have a pic uploaded in My truck pics since i could not attach it here. please view my pic or call if you need to as I have had many phone calls this may help you with a visual of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bleeding the clutch

Anyone have experience bleeding a new clutch master and slave cylinder? Gonna try and start it some evening this week...... I hope.
Yes it can be done I just had a bleed valve installed on my slave call me i will give you details it not a big problem but should have been done by the factory

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed a valve of my slave cost 10 dollars at machine shop valve cost 5 dollars at auto parts store took 15 min to install and bleed if you have already bought the parts this is the way if not buy the complete unit from dodge. If you have a question I will help I plan on taking pic of mine so eveyone can see very bad design from dodge they should fix it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No need to drill and tap anything! Really not too hard to bleed if you understand how to do it correctly. Pull the slave from the bellhousing so you can stroke the slave by hand. Have someone up top add fluid while you stroke the slave (helps to draw fluid in) When you compress the slave your helper should see air coming out the top. They are really a self bleeding system but they usually need that extra boost to get the initial burst of air out. Once it starts to firm up you can attach it back to the bellhousing and finish it up by using the master cylinder.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can't remember which forum had it posted, but Perfection Clutch has a video on U-tube that shows how to bleed the clutch system. May be a link on the Perfection Clutch website.

·
Kansas Chapter President
1,157 Posts
I bet 4 years after this was first posted he probably got it bleed by now ! lol Buuuuut, just in case.:hehe:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts