Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bonestock 5 speed truck but running a #10 fuel plate and my clutch has never slipped until i put this plate in and i plan on doin somemore preformence mods...but if i dont do anything else to the truck when should i be looking at replaceing the clutch that is in it. if i dont need to and someone can tell me how to fix this i would appriciate it - thanks

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
First order of business, if you have an aftermarket fuel plate, it's not bone stock.

Second, if you're clutch is slipping then it's a good bet that now is the time to replace it.

How you ask? Replace the clutch.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Chances are it's only slipping in 5th now? Depending on how hard you drive is how long it will last. You should be able to run it for a while yet, and in the meantime I would start searching for a replacement. I would recommend looking into a South Bend, Valair, or Kenny's.

·
Registered
720 Posts
well my "stock with a plate" 97 started to slip 3rd threw 5th so i put a valair 400hp in it broke it in and it slipped turns out my slave cylinder was bad. but if you plan on putting any more pwr to the ol girl i would for sure upgrade the clutch and go way overkill if you are lookin to get 300 or 400hp get like a 600hp rated clutch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info unlike the first guy...mine slips in second and 3rd if im not careful...o and btw 12veg idrc about your read this first bs...just tell me what i need to know and lets get on with life thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
well being new to this forum there are general guide lines. there are alot of questions that have been asked over and over and over again so chances are you can find ur answer without posting a new thread. agreed 12veg's reply was alittle rude but rightfully so, there are plenty of knowledgeable ppl who are willing to give their opinion just do your homework first.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wouldnt have got mad if more ppl would answer or solve an issue like you did thanks

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
thanks for the info unlike the first guy...mine slips in second and 3rd if im not careful...o and btw 12veg idrc about your read this first bs...just tell me what i need to know and lets get on with life thanks
WITH THAT ATTITUDE...........
all im going to say.............
is............

SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
one of the biggest reasons people are told to read is so that when they answer you, you'll understand the answer. that way they don't have to explain the answer because you didn't bother to read. also, had you bothered to search after reading, you'd possibly, (not really sure cause you got mad while putting your foot in your mouth) you'd know that, that is part of his signature. he wasn't telling YOU to read, he tells everyone the same way day after day. he didn't have the attitude..you do. now, go read and then try again.

rande

Reactions: 12VEG

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
woah, I missed all of this.

As stated by rande, I didn't tell you to read anything, it's in my sig, and there only to help people to learn about the workings of their trucks and beginnings of performance modifications, as well as provide means for EASY access to information that took me a long time to compile so that people new to this cummins business can ask educated questions that will precipitate educated answers.

Let me tell you something, those of us who are on here frequently to help answer an entourage of questions daily appreciate it when a question is well thought out, full of all of the necessary information and then some, and posed in a way that is clear, concise, and well punctuated (good grammer).

Now, I don't believe I was rude at all, but straight to the point. You stated that after putting a plate in your clutch started slipping, wanted to know what to do and how to fix that. I simply said that now is the time to replace it.

Before you go clutch shopping you need to know what your power goals are because you want neither to buy a clutch that is too weak, nor too powerful for your application, so before any recommendations are made why don't you tell us all what your plans are with the truck? Mild, medium, maximum power increases? Injectors, if so, which ones? Turbo? Just fuel plate play/4kgsk? Timing? All of these factors will come into play when choosing a clutch, so if it's slipping, put the clutch in that will handle you future goals...

Reactions: Smoken Gun

·
Registered
720 Posts
12veg, why would it be a bad idea to get a clutch that is too powerful ex: a truck with 350hp get a clutch rated for 500hp

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wow...yet another ungrateful noob that doesnt know his place....

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Nick (12VEG) was not rude at all, just to the point, something I would appreciate if I was you OP.

The beginners thread is EXCELLENT and has tons of great info and link. I guarentee you would learn a great deal from it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
12veg, why would it be a bad idea to get a clutch that is too powerful ex: a truck with 350hp get a clutch rated for 500hp
Your best option when planning any big upgrade (be it a clutch, auto TC, turbo, injector, etc upgrade) is to talk to the shop/builder your getting the product from.

You need to have a clutch (or TC) that is well matched to your trucks unique set-up or your driving experiece will suffer greatly.

This is general common sense stuff.

Give Valair, Kenny's, or South Bend a call and talk to them about your truck and future plans for it. They will give your the best answers and recommend what will work best for you.

Will a a 500hp rated clutch be nice to drive in your 350hp truck? Maybe, depends on clutch material and what you consider "nice" or "smooth".

For example, a triple disc monster clutch would be shear hell in a 300hp DD.

Just throwing some stuff out there :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts