Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im putting a new clutch in my truck soon here and iv never done one on it...just wondering if there are any articles that could show me what to expect going into this. I have done a couple clutches before so i should be ok but i only have a certain amount of time to do it so i want to be prepared. Anyways if you know of anything that could help me out that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.......

·
Registered
228 Posts
iv'e done a bunch, renting or borrowing a trans jack is a must. Makes life easy. took me about 4 to 5 hours in and out

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i was looking into renting one..Have you ever done one without a lift?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wished I had read about jacking the frame apart to get the crossmember out BEFORE I did mine. It is tapered out at the top so it is a pain in the a$$ to remove/install. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Frame trick is move it forward for clearance if I recall.

·
Registered
358 Posts
just beat the hell out of that cross member, itll eventually come out

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I wished I had read about jacking the frame apart to get the crossmember out BEFORE I did mine. It is tapered out at the top so it is a pain in the a$$ to remove/install. :banghead:
SAME HERE!!!!!! It is a mfer:banghead:

just beat the hell out of that cross member, itll eventually come out
Thats what I did. it takes a lot of beating to get it there. When i put it back in I put antisieze on the ends to slick it up a bit and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good to know...thanks guys

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
why fight it by beating it out and back in when you can just spread the frame with a jack? It makes it much easier, mine pretty much fell out when i did mine

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well.... I'm doing the same deal next week. Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
424 Posts
no pics, but I would suggest getting a new pivot ball and clutch fork before you get started. They are both fairly cheap parts and mine were fairly worn at 170,000k.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh, and make sure that you leave the tranny in gear when you drop it out, that way when you go to stab it back in you can just rotate an output shaft to get your spline to line up with the clutch discs. I cursed and swore for a bit until I realized that i left the bloody thing in neutral.:banghead::doh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the frame spreading. I used a porta-power and had to spread it a lot.

If you have a short bed and the 34gal tank, I recommend pulling the transfer case first and then the trans by itself. If you leave them together, getting it in and out is a tiny incremental process of back-down-back-down. Keep in mind that the t-case input shaft is the trans output sealing surface, so it will spill oil if it's tilted back enough. My trans output seal was bad, and it's cheap insurance to replace it.

I wouldn't think about doing it without a trans jack. You can do the t-case with a motorcycle jack no problem, but the trans is a heavy one.

It also helps to have a second set of hands...figuratively of course.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1 on the frame spreading. I used a porta-power and had to spread it a lot.

If you have a short bed and the 34gal tank, I recommend pulling the transfer case first and then the trans by itself. If you leave them together, getting it in and out is a tiny incremental process of back-down-back-down. Keep in mind that the t-case input shaft is the trans output sealing surface, so it will spill oil if it's tilted back enough. My trans output seal was bad, and it's cheap insurance to replace it.

I wouldn't think about doing it without a trans jack. You can do the t-case with a motorcycle jack no problem, but the trans is a heavy one.

It also helps to have a second set of hands...figuratively of course.
Yep use tranny jack, n forsure need a porta power to spread the frame, lots of people swear theres a way to not use one but i sure couldnt do it. And yea i made a big mess when my oil poured outta the t-case so be careful.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have done alot of clutch jobs anf just beat the member out and did them all on the ground and have used just a normal floor jack lol but that all poor ppl like me can do lol oh well I am used to it now

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have done alot of clutch jobs anf just beat the member out and did them all on the ground and have used just a normal floor jack lol but that all poor ppl like me can do lol oh well I am used to it now

As long as u get the job done right:thumbsup:

K

·
0 Posts
on my truck there wasnt a whole lot of room so i pulled the drive shafts then the transfer case then trans make sure and use a good tranny jack and i used a porta power to spread the frame i didnt think about take pics this last weekend i had to pull the pressure plate on my dual disk and swap it out for a new one also when you do this its a very good time to replace or upgrade ujoints on the drive shafts i replaced all mine with heavy duty ones since i will be pulling every weekend and one other simple thing you will need is a clutch alignemnt tool did yours come with one if not you could cut up a broom handle we could find ours so when had to drive 30min to napa and they pulled one out of a clutch kit its good to know people that work at parts stores

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
11,118 Posts
Yep use tranny jack, n forsure need a porta power to spread the frame, lots of people swear theres a way to not use one but i sure couldnt do it. And yea i made a big mess when my oil poured outta the t-case so be careful.
I've done it twice without a port-a-power. Its a b#$ch, but its do-able. If you notice the indentions in the frame, about 6 inches behind the crossmember. Drive the crossmember up (BFH!!!) slide it back to indentions, and it will actually drop right out. Disclaimer: this is very much more easily said than done!!!:banghead:

·
Registered
909 Posts
As long as u get the job done right:thumbsup:
LOL ya I have done alot of them and I got to school at Wyotech and have done alot here and tear apart g56's alot cause I was breaking them alot

1 - 20 of 40 Posts