Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have been working on installing a SouthBend 3600DD and everything was going smooth until I tried bolting the transmission back up. It comes about an INCH from bumping up flush! Tried everything to get it to go in the rest of the way with no luck. Rechecked my alignment and all the parts. Everything seems to be correct.

Any help fellas??? I'm pissed, frustrated, disappointed, and don't know what esle to try. :confused013:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I finally got it on guys! Thanks for all the help! :thumbsup:

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
You're sure you're going straight in and not hanging in the rear? And did you try turning the flywheel a little bit? I'm sure you've done this, but just trying to help......

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it looks like it's going in straight. The clearance is even all the way around the housing and I tried slowly turning the flywheel as we were trying to push it in, but no luck...

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts
had a heck of a time with mine too, if you used an alignment tool you should be good there, so just wiggle it back and forth left and right, up and down and it will hofefully go I had to get pretty rough with mine to get it in all the way they hang up easy on the top there is not much room

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks.
We fought it yesterday afternoon and this afternoon and could only get within about an inch. I even slightly jacked up on the front of the motor so the back end tilted down to give us a little more room. I'll keep trying, just wondering if everyone has this trouble.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That sucks. Are you using a transmission jack? Almost sounds like the pilot bushing isnt lining up with the input shaft. I feel for you we pulled the 5 sp trans in the 97 diesel that was one heavy trans. The beauty with a transmission jack fine tuning.
Question did you tie up the slave cylinder assembly that presses on the clutch fork? Just a thought we had issues with that interfering with install.

Good luck man you will get it

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Alright thanks.
We fought it yesterday afternoon and this afternoon and could only get within about an inch. I even slightly jacked up on the front of the motor so the back end tilted down to give us a little more room. I'll keep trying, just wondering if everyone has this trouble.
Sometimes what I'll do when it gets close enough is thread a couple of bolts and turn them a bit to see if she pulls together. Be very very careful though. If they turn really hard, you better stop. Also, as stated before, have one guy turning the flywheel and simultaneously have another guy rocking the tranny until it hopefully slips in.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Tell you what guys.....he has tried everything yall are throwing at him. I have been on the phone with him most the day giving him some suggestions and still a no go. Talk about a PITA! He has threaded some bolts but they get to the point to where you don't wanna take it no more.......

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks. Are you using a transmission jack? Almost sounds like the pilot bushing isnt lining up with the input shaft. I feel for you we pulled the 5 sp trans in the 97 diesel that was one heavy trans. The beauty with a transmission jack fine tuning.
Question did you tie up the slave cylinder assembly that presses on the clutch fork? Just a thought we had issues with that interfering with install.

Good luck man you will get it
I'm using a floor jack, but thinking about renting a tranny jack now. And yea, I got the slave cylinder out of the way. Thanks, I'll keep on trying!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thats alot of weight for a floor jack. Scary I bet. Once you use a trans jack you will never go back. Go online check around. If I was you I would drop the trans and start over just double check every thing lines up with the clutch disc where it sits. (line up tool)

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts
what I did was have the back end down alittle and the clutch side up and stab it that way but it is not close to lined up so jack it up alittle bit try to use you feet to kinda kick and push and jack it up a little more and just keep doing that till it gets straight and goes in, that worked pretty good for me

·
OKLAHOMA CHAPTER PRESIDENT
881 Posts
Mine did the same I had tran jack in the center of trans and floor jack under transfer had trany strapped to trans jack and a ratchet strap on trans jack to front of truck to hold tension so I could pickup rear of transfer and wiggle while pushing and having someone work ratchet it's tough and took us a bit

·
Registered
514 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. We just wound up threading the bolts in a little at a time in a pattern while wiggling and eventually pulled it together. We thought afterwards we may have not had the throwout bearing pushed all the way back and that was just keepin it from goin in. I had a half inch max space when we done it though not an inch. Also is the wiring bracket up top in the way or the shifter tower catching?

·
Registered
694 Posts
grease the imput shaft a lil and get her set, if it done go in right away twist on the driveshaft a little bit. thats wat worked for me

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to rent a tranny jack tomorrow and give it another shot.

Had the same problem with mine. We just wound up threading the bolts in a little at a time in a pattern while wiggling and eventually pulled it together. We thought afterwards we may have not had the throwout bearing pushed all the way back and that was just keepin it from goin in. I had a half inch max space when we done it though not an inch. Also is the wiring bracket up top in the way or the shifter tower catching?
If I get the tranny jack and it still won't slide all the way, I will try threading the bolts to suck it in. I know the shift tower does hit a little on top, but I can tell it's not what's keeping us from pushing it in and the wiring bracket is out of the way.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
You did grind off the material on the bellhousing didn"t you there are 2 spots I think, it shows you in the paperwork from Southbend

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The instructions that came with it were not very detailed, but just to make sure...
I pulled off the old clutch assembly and flexplate and then bolted up the new crank spacer and new flywheel, then of course the new clutch assembly. Anything else I needed to remove or something?

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts
did you remove the spacer on the pilot bushing ball, unscrew it and there is a little washer that has to come out

1 - 20 of 71 Posts