Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Phoenix Friction clutches before? They are offering a dual Kevlar kit with flywheel and hyd. They rate it for 800HP and 400tq.
It sounds like a good deal for $900.00

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Does it sound too good to be true?

·
Registered
115 Posts
torque sounds low

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not real it is close to the others in price, and they are close to me so shipping is a little cheaper. The South Bend has a dual setup with organic and ceramic pucks and it is priced at 1200.00 so its close.
My problem with it (South Bend) is the dissimular materials have greatly different heat ranges and to have them working together doesn't seem like it would work.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
I'll give you credit. You are the first one to present a clutch company that actually makes clutches for diesels. I've never heard of them before.

Where is the clutch you are looking at? When I enter my truck it shows a stock replacement... and now I see familiar names like Luk, Aisin and such. Looks like a clutch distributor to me

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When mine started slipping 5 months ago I thought I would sit down and really look at the whole picture. A lot of time looking for the best for the money and WHAT I needed it for.
I pull trailers that range from 12K to 18K a couple of times a month and when camping starts every week.
If you have looked them up what do you get out of thier "sales" pitch and the product information?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give you credit. You are the first one to present a clutch company that actually makes clutches for diesels. I've never heard of them before.

Where is the clutch you are looking at? When I enter my truck it shows a stock replacement... and now I see familiar namies like Luk, and such.
I called and talked to them for about an hour. All of the paperwork is at my office so I can not tell you which model it was.
I was just looking on ebay and they are on there with a lot to offer. If I can find it here you go. The dual kevlar is not listed that I can find, but call them they have a lot of patience with questions.
eBay Motors: 06 07 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins Clutch & Flywheel Kit (item 130298921459 end time May-08-09 07:27:03 PDT)

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Yeah I'm not seeing the Kevlar, just OEM styles for a lot less than the $900 you started with. Of course I would not go with anther OEM. The brands they carry are good, but just OEM. With that said I would pass them up unless I had to get by with an OEM. Your initial hp/tq numbers just wont work though. Your stock truck could twist more than 400 ft/lbs no problem. I think you are back to SB or Valair.

Is this their web page? Phoenix Friction Products - New Clutch and Brake Parts, Buy Direct and Save! Great Low Prices.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that the one.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I dont see how it can hold 800HP and only 400TQ. You get to 800 HP and your torque is going to be about 5 times that rating. Sure you dont have it backwards??

·
Registered
332 Posts
What I want to know is how you would ever get to 800hp and come down on your tq. I know on my 03 it came from the factory with 555tq, so that clutch wouln't even work on a stock truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it backwards, 800 torque and 400 hpShould proof read my post sorry.

Reactions: clthorn94

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Yeah sounds like a good deal to me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anybody ever actually run this clutch and what did y'all think of it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts