Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember having to always have the clutch pushed in order to start the truck, now that my southbend is installed i no longer have to have the clutch pushed in to start the truck... i then adjusted the slave and now im having to have the clutch enaged in order to start...

is this a wiring problem of some sort or possibly just the adjustment itself?? is there a way to possibly jump or cross any wires so that i do not ahve to have the clutch pushed in, in order to start it?

· OKLAHOMA CHAPTER PRESIDENT
878 Posts
Usually there is a switch on the clutch pedal arm just unplug and install jumper wire havnt check to see if these are for sure done that way will look tommorrow

· Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. let me know what you find...

· Registered
1,456 Posts
You should see a switch under the dash that is pushed by the clutch arm. Adjusting the slave prob just put a little tension on it so now it is pushing on that switch. You should be able to bypass it easily though.

· Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok.. well... i adjusted the slave back out a lil bit and i no longer need the clutch engaged buuuuut, i also found out that the truck will take off by itself if you just so happen to try and start it and it happens to be in gear, like reverse. this could be a liability lol. but i must say it was very funny watching my brother hanging out of the passenger side sorta running and holding on for dear life trying to get the truck into neutral. why he didnt just turn the key off i dont know.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
lol... Also why they dont put remote starts on manuals. The guy that installed the remote start on my last truck said that he did it to his Manual Nissan pickup. Said if you hit it with it parked in first, it would drive away...

· Registered
38 Posts
Use a paper clip! I haven't done it yet on my 98, but on my old Honda Accord, there was a little clip on the back of the clutch pedal. If you unplug it, you just need to bend a paperclip into the plug to jumper it into thinking that the clutch pedal is depressed. Put some black electrical tape on it and tape it up somewhere so its not hanging.

Again, that was on my accord. Not sure about the dodges. And yes, even on a 4 banger Accord, you can start the car with the autostart and it will literally drive away. In a truck with a Cummins, you are likely to put a hole in the side of a house if it drives off on you! :buttkick:

Good Luck, and you didn't hear it from me!
Lindell

· Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it would have definitely driven through anything in its path... i was laughing too hard really to do anything. we were in a empty parking lot luckily...

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,449 Posts
Depressing the clutch at startup is more than just a safety issue, it is good for your engine. Try this little experiment. Shut your truck down with the truck in neutral and the clutch let out. Then restart the truck and shut it down again, this time with the clutch depressed. Notice how much smoother the truck shuts down when the engine isn't linked to the transmission? Now think about how much of that energy from the transmission would be transferred to the engine during a cold start. Depressing the clutch at startup disengages the transmission and allows a cold engine to have no load on it at initial firing.

· Registered
40 Posts
Depressing the clutch at startup is more than just a safety issue, it is good for your engine. Try this little experiment. Shut your truck down with the truck in neutral and the clutch let out. Then restart the truck and shut it down again, this time with the clutch depressed. Notice how much smoother the truck shuts down when the engine isn't linked to the transmission? Now think about how much of that energy from the transmission would be transferred to the engine during a cold start. Depressing the clutch at startup disengages the transmission and allows a cold engine to have no load on it at initial firing.
Very good point. Poor guy who installed my last alarm has done this to his civic. His girlfriend pressed the remote start button and it hopped the park stop and drive itself into a concrete ditch. Ouch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.