Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the clutch is almost shot.. 125,000 miles and just threw a edge cts with attitude on there and to say I got her hot is an understatement... What clutches are people running that is a daily driven vehicle and still hold 650 or so when I get that much to her.... Also, if there is a thread already on this can you direct me cause I couldn't find one...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the forums I've read say Southbend... I'm just not wanting to lose my nice easy to shift truck and also want the hard holding stand up to some horse power too...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Is it normal for a stock clutch to start slipping at 83K even if the truck is bone stock? Are these clutches really that bad?
We had a '12 with a G56 on the farm that started slipping at 40k. 100% stock truck.

Reactions: dd9

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has 125*** on it daily driven and only slips on level 5 edge programmer and full throttle.... Set it on 3 and it'll do fine.. I'm scared that if I had to tow something it would slip....

·
Registered
959 Posts
All the forums I've read say Southbend... I'm just not wanting to lose my nice easy to shift truck and also want the hard holding stand up to some horse power too...
You'll be happy with a Southbend 3250 then. The only negative is the racket from the clutch plates and the gear rollover noise. If nasty sounding mechanical noises don't bother you it's a great clutch.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You'll be happy with a Southbend 3250 then. The only negative is the racket from the clutch plates and the gear rollover noise. If nasty sounding mechanical noises don't bother you it's a great clutch.
This is what you need to be aware of, there is more noise.

I put the Southbend clutch in my truck with less than 10k miles on it. I had a mild tuner and when pulling my camper I could easily overpower the clutch in 5th and 6th gear. I guess some stock clutches and pressure plates hold better than others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being pushed by several to try a valair clutch because of noises and ease of use... I'm wondering how the noise and ease of use is different when the design is the same...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I had a ton of trouble just trying to get my transmission separated from the motor because it's hitting the floor of the cab. Is there something I can do to help with the claerance?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
To answer your question, take a strap and cinch it across each frame rail so that the strap is tight across the bottom of the forward part of the engine's oil pan(See picture below ) . this will prevent the engine from tilting forward and stop your lighter transmission from being shoved into the floorboard. To the OP, Ive got a Southbend and love it. The noise isnt bad if you drive it correctly.

Reactions: dd9
1 - 15 of 15 Posts