Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

clutch advice

860 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  pepperman
My clutch is on its last leg and probably like everyone else I do not have a lot of money to spend on one. I really wanted a valair single disk ceramic, but I was wondering if how good valairs single disk organic clutches are. Right now I am running no plate, intake, exhaust, with 33's, and ladder bars. It peronally does'nt bother me if it is a little rougher but it will be driven by a girl part of the time.

Any advice will be gratefull, as well as any dealers on here who could get me hooked up. Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Well the clutch is rather important and is worth spending a little more to get a good one. Also if you are wanting to add more power down the road, no sense putting something that will just get you by. I am running a southbend single disk 13" rated for 550 horse power and 1100 foot pounds. The wife can still drive the truck and she didn't notice any pedal change between factory and this clutch. I got it for an even 1000 bucks, not really a budget item, however I kept in mind that 1. I wanted more power and 2. I wanted to still tow.

· Registered
115 Posts
im in the same boat, trying to get a cheap clutch to get me by but still hold up to towing. im going with a valair single disc with hd spring hub and organic facings its like 340 bucks and holds 400hp/850ft lb's thats more than enough for me for a while. plus the ceramics dont like towing i heard they dont really slip so it might be kind of a bltch towing with one

Reactions: 12vBen

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the same one I am looking at now. My fly wheel is original with 215,000 on it and its second clutch, would you think I could just have it machined or should I just buy a new one?

· Registered
115 Posts
Mines original with 276,xxx on it. Only way to find out is when u pull the tranny

· Registered
9,898 Posts
x2

You wont know till its apart. If your lucky you could probably get away with having it resurfaced, but if its already been surfaced and/or its chewed up pretty bad your going to need to find another one!

· Registered
130 Posts
Towing with a Valair Ceramic is not fun at 1st. Once it gets broke in and you learn how to drive it, it's not too bad. I pull 10k-12k of feed on my 24' Gooseneck every 3 weeks and I don't hardly notice the clutch now. At first it will hop, especially in reverse, but it's a lot better now. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, pepperman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.