Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in another thread that cruise control, air bag light, and horn are all connected to the 'clock spring'. My cruise control doesn't work, horn blows fuses, and the air bag light is on. Can someone tell me where the clock spring is, and how to see if it's toast, how to fix it, replace it, whatever?

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These directions are for a 2001 but are pretty much the same
Recall #982 - Clockspring
Wow, sounds like I could have had a lawsuit on my hands. When I bought the truck, the dealership said the airbag was fine, the light just was on from some worn wire that didn't do anything.

So, should I contact a dealership to see if my truck is still under recall? I'd rather make someone else do it for free than take my whole steering column apart.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year is your truck?
The recall only applies to 2001.
You don't hear too much about 12 valve clocksprings failing.
It's a 97, but in the link it said the recalls also applied to 97-01 that had a defective clock spring put in.

'In addition, 1997 - 2001 model year vehicles that have had a suspect replacement clockspring installed, according to warranty records, have been added to this recall.'

At 268,000 miles, though, even a normal clock spring would probably be broken. I'll probably just go ahead and do it myself.

· Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a truck with both the airbag light on and no cruise control. So I picked up a new clock spring and now everything works, all you need to replace the old one is a screw driver, some allen wrenches, a socket, and a new clock spring (I think they're about $40 or so at an auto part store). It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to replace.

To replace it, first pull the battery cables so the airbag charge dies before pulling the steering wheel apart. then pull the airbag off, then the steering wheel and just plug the new wires where the old wires went. Its pretty straight forward once you get everything apart, hope this helps.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought a truck with both the airbag light on and no cruise control. So I picked up a new clock spring and now everything works, all you need to replace the old one is a screw driver, some allen wrenches, a socket, and a new clock spring (I think they're about $40 or so at an auto part store). It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to replace.

To replace it, first pull the battery cables so the airbag charge dies before pulling the steering wheel apart. then pull the airbag off, then the steering wheel and just plug the new wires where the old wires went. Its pretty straight forward once you get everything apart, hope this helps.
Ya it does help, thanks.

· Registered
88 Posts
When you pull your battery cables off you should probably wait a little bit to start pulling everything apart. If there are any capacitors in the wiring for the airbag it could still go off. Wait for a while and any of the stored energy in the system should dissipate and then it will be safe to work around. I would hate for you to get a broken nose over all of this! :lol4:

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Factory service manual says to wait 15 minutes for the capacitors to discharge.
Reason for the capacitor backup power is so the airbag still deploys if you get in an accident that takes out your batteries.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the airbag tips. I've never had to mess with the airbag in any vehicle before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.