Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i go to reverse and hit the peddle, i hear a clicking sound.. its really loud, and when i giver off the line it does it, but if i giver at a high speed like 30 or up it doesnt do it. also if i turn and giver it makes a clicking sound. so loud that my buddy could hear me and he was behing me a good 30 feet.. any guesses.. and i have a dinging sound with a lamp out indicator that intermidantly comes off and on, mostly when i hit my breaks. but no lights are out? could it be a sensor? or??????? if so how do i remove it and where is it?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
clicking sound when hammering on it or turning is 95% of the time going to be U-joints. It sounds to me like you might have fronts and rears going bad. The other 5% of the time it is a noise from the spider gears in the rear diff. I have seen debris get in there and do some damage making a clicking noise similar to what you are hearing.

The lights, on my truck anyway, maybe not the 2004's, but there was a hereditary problem with early third gens and bad brake light circuit boards (the fixtures the bulbs mount to) An internal failure will intermittently cause a lamp out indication on the dash ALWAYS accompanied by and annoyingass ding. Change out both of them and the problem should go away.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
oh, check the rear u joints by putting the trans in neutral setting the parking brake and trying to wiggle the drive shaft in all sections It could be any one of the crosses going bad. The fronts are quite a bit harder to check, but usually the drive coming out of the axle housing will sag causing some play in the system.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you , will try

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive just notices that one of my plate lights are off would that cause the chiming?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
to check the diff gears you can jack up the rear end and spin the tires. If the little bevel gears are spent there may be an intermittent stick or hang up spot within each rotation of the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts