Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swung by the dealership yesterday on the way home from work to chat with the main diesel mechanic and get a feel for how they feel about deletes and mods. He didn't come out and say to do them but understood my point of view, when I said it would be nice to do them but it would void the warranty he just shrugged his shoulders and gave a look of not really. He had me drop my truck off this morning so he could see if I had the latest update and while in there I had them install the cab clearance lights. $145 for parts and $320 for labor but they really finish the truck; oh and they did update the system. All and all I couldn't complain, everything done and out the door in less than 18 hrs.:thumbsup:

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Cab lights really do set off the trucks but jeeze $465, those better be some damn good cab lights.
EDIT: I cant count but I fixed it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
WOW, $465 for clearance lights. Should have ordered em off dodgeparts dot com and done them yourself for about $100. I did mine. Pretty simple!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
445 bucks!!!!! do u have a money tree in your back yard

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did think about doing myself for about 5 seconds, just something about drilling holes in my roof and fighting with a headliner and sunroof trim didn't appeal to me. I really didn't think it would be that much in labor though:shock:. Oh well just trying to do my part to help out the economy right.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I did think about doing myself for about 5 seconds, just something about drilling holes in my roof and fighting with a headliner and sunroof trim didn't appeal to me. I really didn't think it would be that much in labor though:shock:. Oh well just trying to do my part to help out the economy right.
it really isnt that bad,the hardest thing is to drill that 1st hole,,,,but even so the lights sound pretty pricey,labor sounds right i got a quote and it was bout the same ,but i laughed in their face,,,,,,did u order them fromthe dealer??, cause u went on dodge parts .com ,,,the kit gives u the harness ,lights,and a template,for less than that

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
hey , i just noticed u have a sunroof,,,,,theres a member on here thats lookin for pics of cablights and sunroof,,,,,,,u should post some pics up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wiring..

I'm new here, but not to working on my own vehicles... This is my first diesel. I work for Chrysler and previously had a 2001 1500 5.9l gasser that I worked a little harder than I probably should have.

I just got my new truck last week, and the only thing it didn't have on it that I would have gotten if I had ordered it is the cab clearance lights. I just installed a B&W turnover ball (I put one on my 1/2 ton as well), and a Tekonsha p3 brake controller. On my old truck I also installed a set if Firestone bags and a dual command air compressor system with in-cab controls. Basically, I'm saying that I'm not afraid to work on my own truck. :)

I checked out dodgeparts.com and it says that the light kit comes with a harness... Is the wiring already run up to the roof? Or does the harness plug in under the dash somewhere?!

Also, how difficult is it to re-install the head liner? Most of my work has been under the hood or under the dash, I haven't played with the interior a whole lot.

Thanks! This site has taught me quite a bit so far, I'm looking forward to learning and sharing a lot more!

·
Registered
255 Posts
The wiring harness runs from the lights done the a pillar into the fuse block under the hood. Head liner isn't that hard. Remove the a pillars, visors, overhead computer, and b pillars. I just pulled it down in the front and there was enough room to get to everything. Just take your time lining up the template. It would be alot easier with two people. I put a little bit of clear silicone around the lens bases and the screw holes just to make sure nothing leaked.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
I just lowered the front of my headliner, no need to pull the whole thing down. The factory wire runs up the side of the passenger side pillar and has a plug on it. I didnt install factory lights on my 03 so I dont know what the kit comes with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay... Two different posts, now I'm confused.. :)

Does a truck that did NOT come with clearance lights have a plug-in harness in the passenger side pillar that will plug into the oem light kit harness from dodgeparts.com?

OR, do I have to run the wiring down the pillar and into the engine compartment?

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's plug and play up around the head liner, or if I have to run the wires all the way to a fuse block, and tie into the running light circuit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On a 2009 its not plug and play. You have to tap into a wire in the engine compartment.
It doesn't get any "clearer" than that... :)

Thanks!

I'm sure it's still not a very bad install... 5 holes, and a little wire routing, I bet it could be done in a few hours if I took my time.

Is the kit from Dodgeparts.com the exact same lights that would have come on it if I had ordered them from the factory?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Does a truck that did NOT come with clearance lights have a plug-in harness in the passenger side pillar that will plug into the oem light kit harness from dodgeparts.com?

OR, do I have to run the wiring down the pillar and into the engine compartment?

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's plug and play up around the head liner, or if I have to run the wires all the way to a fuse block, and tie into the running light circuit.
My truck didn't come with cab lights but has Recon smoked lights up there now. To answer your question. Yes a trucks that DIDN'T come with cab lights do have a plug on the passenger side a-piller. I used Recon's not the factory lights that have a factory harness so I don't know if it's "plug'n play" or not. It's not a big deal anyway. Just tap the correct wire at the a-piller and make a ground and your done!! Dang $300+ for labor to install cab lights. I wish you lived in North Texas so I could take your money rather than the dealer!!!!! I installed DynaMat on my roof and installed my Recon's in 2.5 hrs and drank beer while I did it!!!! I'm not try to be an A-hole, buy dang man your dealer hosed you bro...

·
Registered
581 Posts
do any of you guys have the template for the cab lights iv got a set and im wanting to do them that would make it alot easer for me if you do i would pay shipping here and shipping back when im done.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts

The easiet way to find out is to go out and pull the passenger side pillar off. My 03 did not come with lights and there was a plug on the passenger side pillar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i was thinking about putting the recon smoke clearance lights on top..my truck is inferno red..any idea on how'd they look?? cant decide bw those or yellow?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i was thinking about putting the recon smoke clearance lights on top..my truck is inferno red..any idea on how'd they look?? cant decide bw those or yellow?

I'll post a picture of mine latter today for ya.

do any of you guys have the template for the cab lights iv got a set and im wanting to do them that would make it alot easer for me if you do i would pay shipping here and shipping back when im done.
You dont need a template Recon's Instruction manual gives you detailed measuring instructions. Just click the link below and find Dodge Cab Lights.

Recon Accessories: Downloads[

1 - 20 of 22 Posts