Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Clear paint peeling

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave3500 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a small spot of clear paint peeling on the hood of my red 98.5 3500.
I keep it waxed. Is there a quick fix for this or will I need to color & clear the hood? Anyway to spot the clear?

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
no quick fix there, you can spot the base but not the clear, it won't hold up and will start to peel again, basically need to sand down the hood with some 800-1000 grit paper and put a couple of good coats of clear on.

#4 ·
You can spot clear and base coat. Not recommended for either one. Take it to a body shop to have it done right.

#3 ·
I'm having the exact same problem with my hood and roof. My roof looks horrible, the hood is just starting.

Rest of the paint still looks new. I don't know what caused this to happen. Time to :$::$: on a new paint job I guess. Prolly just paint the whole dang truck. :CRY:

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. With every rain storm it just keeps lifting more. Was thinking of putting a decal to cover it to maybe slow it down for now.

Dave

#8 ·
there isnt a quick fix but you can take the the part of the hood and fix it without reclearing the entire hood you have to feather out the spot where it is pealing with a da sander then take the base coat and spot in the color area then it is possible to take the clear and burn it into the existing clear near a body line on the hood you would have to have somone the knows what they are doing to do it but it is possable i would recomend just scuffing the hood with 600 and then reclearing it would look better in the long run

#10 ·
don't do that it will just peel again in pretty short order.

#12 ·
I Have Been A Certified Ppg Painter, Tech Person And Jobber For 20 Years Now, While You Can Do A Clear Blend The "right Way" That Will Hold Up For Longer, A Clear Blend Will Not Have The Ability To Hold Up Over Time Like A Fully Clearcoated Panel With The Proper Mill Thickness No Matter How Right You Do It.

#13 ·
YOUR THE ONLY OTHER PERSON I KNOW THAT LIKES 2002, BEUTIFUL CLEAR. i USE IT QUITE A BIT BUT CAN'T HARDLY GIVE THE STUFF AWAY AROUND HERE

#17 ·
IDN if this would work for you, but I got lucky. I caught my roof JUST as it started to peel, I went and got some of the thick Meguiar's wax, the one that comes in the tub not the bottle. Some heavy elbow grease and that stuff and it spread the clear coat enoguh to make the problem go away. That was about 3 weeks ago.

#18 ·
Hey guys,

I like the idea of clearing the entire hood. Not such a tuff job. A great looking hood from the drivers seat is always a satisfying thing to appreciate.

While i'm at it I'll have the LR quarter on my del Sol that needs re-cleared as well.

Thanks again,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.