Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend told me that I should spray water and alcohol into my intake right after my filter because it will clean out the carbon throughout my intake and turbo. He told me that he saw a huge improvements after doing that. behind his car there was a huge black spot on the groundfrom all the carbon coming out the exhaust.

In some way though, couldn't this cause internal rust or damage to my truck?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Thank god you asked before doing it.... That may be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he told me that and right away I thought that has to be horrible for your engine. I thought I'd mention it

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
^^^this^^^. That is terrible advise, and a great way to fill the intercooler with flamable gunk..... Aka runaway cummins....

Heated pressure washers work good on intercoolers and tubing, but make sure to let them drain properly before reinstalling....

DO NOT POWERWASH the turbo though..... Good way to kill it

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think your friend was thinking about the old carburetor gasoline engines. This worked well on them when they were carboned up. We use to use just water and carefully poor or spray it into the intake, it would hit the hot carbon deposits and cause them to break up and get blown out the exhaust. I remember the old AMCs, their inline six's were notorious for getting carboned up and the piston to head clearance was so close that they would knock. This process would fix them right up.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
can tell who has and who hasn't used water to clean a running engine before......
He's right. You can clean a engine of carbon using water. But with any engine if done wrong you can hydro-lock an engine causing all kinds of serious damage.

I don't suggest adding anything at the turbo because most of the water will just sit in the bottom of the intercooler. If you were going to do this you would do it at the intake horn I would suggest using misted water and not pouring any liquid. (Hydro-lock damage possible).

Reactions: Yankneck696

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Its always been said that the reason engines run better in the rain is because of the added moisture in the air allowing the cylinders to "clean" the carbon build up. Cant say how true that old saying is but that said, I've also used water to clean an older engine as it does work. But you cant go dumping a garden hose down the intake either.

As for the OP, dont ever spray anything in the turbo or intake of your engine. Any flammable products can cause an engine run away situation whereby you wont be able to shut it off as the rpm's skyrocket. Also, using products like ether to aid starting your Cummins can result in the grid heaters igniting those combustibles in the intake system of the engine and explode, harming you and your engine. If ether is a must then you need to disconnect the grid heater system first.

If you're still considering the necessity to clean the intake then just note that there's nothing to clean. The turbo blades tend to look clean or have a slight film on them but if they ever look grossly coated with something thick then possibly there's a bad oil seal on the impeller or you're running an oiled air filter thats been over oiled. :thumbsup:

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,672 Posts
did every one forget about water / watermeth injection?

as long as its a mist of water, applied at the right rate in the right location, it will be fine, and clean wonderfully.

Done wrong, well i bet you can figure that one out

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I've done this as maintenance of probably 60 diesel engines. Remove the intake horn & grid heaters. get a pump up sprayer, a little Dawn in the water (Never have used alcohol). Tighten the tip on the sprayer so it is a FINE MIST. run the truck at 1800 RPMS & spray into the plenum. Works great. I did this in marine applications, where low RPM running is very common & it sure helped.

Now, if you use bad judgement on the misting, you CAN destroy the engine. I have done this on Detroits, Perkins, Cummins, Volvo, Mann, and probably a few I forgot. I was shown how to do it properly by a diesel mechanic.

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts