Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have any ideas on how to clean the intake and maybe all the way to the valves. I just installed my MP-8 last night and after getting the EGR pipe off I finally saw what it is doing to the motor! There is no less than a 1/10" of soot lining that pipe and into the intake! :thud: I have 45K on this truck now and wish I would have popped that thing off in the lot before I drove away with it at the dealer.

I have the exhaust coming any day now and the EGR delete is sitting on my dresser waiting impatiently. Prolem after I get that delete in is that I want to clean my intake horn and possibly into the motor and valves. Is there any way to do this?

On another note the dealer said he cleaned the EGR last week. I think not unless it builds up that fast.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You could try running some Sea Foam additive in your fuel, it is supposed to help with carbon build up, and things like that. I know it wont do the trick after just one treatment, but maybe after running it through pretty heavy a few times it will start to make some good headway..And that should help with cleaning all of your internal pieces. As far as the intake horn, you can pull it all off and clean it with mineral spirits, or any type of parts cleaner, just be sure to get it clean and dry before re-installing it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The seafoam wont help the intake because the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. I am going to try add water/methanol injection. That should help clean.

·
Registered
694 Posts
heard a guy say after he installed his water/meth kit his intake horn and stuff was really clean compaired to what it was before

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Drill and tap one of your EGR delete cover plates for a schrader valve and install the valve in it. Then buy you a couple of the injection cans of the decarboning cleaners from a boat shop that have the hose with the female schrader valve on them. These work somewhat like a oven cleaner per/say ie. with heat to help remove soot and hard carbon deposites.

Now where this gets a little tricky, is I would not do this without the 6.7 running or out of gear either. You damn sure don't want the 6.7 to die on ya while doing it or you could fill a cylinder with fluid...

We need to get a length of hose to splice the can with and run it inside the cab through the firewall. Then what I plan to do is while driving and running down the road is inject the spray while the truck is under load and running down the road nice and hot to temp.

No soak time like you would do with the two stroke outboards, would be nice but if we filled a cylinder it would be bad LOL... So I plan to run a few cans threw my EGR delete plates like this and try and wash as much of the build up out as I can like this...

Now that I just have got my EGR deleted and running without fuel knock, I plan to wash on my intake system somewhat like this and see if I can get at the intake side of the air intake. I have been running the CRC brand name stuff that is called Diesel Fuel System Therapy for quite some time now to help keep this build up from getting so bad in the combustion chambers. You add this to the fuel. My tech side that his DC instructor said it was the strongest stuff on the market that he knew of and that it works well and its not expensive. I pay 5.21 for a quart size bottle buying it by the case from NAPA here local too...

Now that I don't have the EGR on I will not be adding it as often either once I do the decarboning I plan to do this weekend, threw the EGR delete cover plate... Just an idea I plan to do and thought I would share my plans...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hell yes Jeb plans and ideas like that are what make these sites so valuable. Guys like you are more valuable than you know.

Please let us know how this goes for you. I wish i could be along for the inaugural ride with that LOL. Hope she keeps running and cleans it out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Try a VW dealership. VW has been using egr's since 1999 on their deisels and they clean the upper intake. I dont know what they use but I have heard the mechanics say it works really well.:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts