Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love driving a cleaned up truck. I also love mud puddles. I hate seeing all those nice rigs with shiny paint and polished up wheels with dingy brown inner fenders and chassis.
Ive discovered a pretty good idea that might help some of yall out.
I take my truck off roadin almost once a week and ive discovered a good way to keep the under side clean.
Every time I wash my rig I use a whole can of WD-40 spraying the entire underside and iner fenders after washing.
It keeps everything under there nice and new looking, plus it really keeps the mud from sticking.
It will also make sure that if you ever have to do any suspension dissassembly later on you wont have to fight rust-welded and corroded components.
Heres a before and after pic of my rig after a grocery trip.

Reactions: mitch6879

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
yea its a good idea, i spray wd 40 all over my quads, even the plastic before we go racing/mudding. it helps out a lot. plus iv always put a sprinkler underneath the truck over night and by morning most of the mud is gone. that is if you needed another idea. ohh yeah, thats a sharp lookin truck you got yourself there.
Nick

·
Registered
957 Posts
I know WD40 will help keep mud from sticking, but wouldn't it attract more dust and grime if you drive on gravel alot? It makes sense...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Good idea on the WD40. I use to wipe the rims of my motorcycle with it. Makes the dust supereasy to wipe off.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i used spray foam that you use on tires for my wheelwells.. spray a little an let it soak before i wash.. then after i wash i spray more on, let it set and wipe clean.. the wd40 would make my undercarriage filthy if i were to use it where i live.. its plain DUSTY here in west texas and the spray foam seems to get the job done on all my parts seein as how it doesnt leave a greasy residue..

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
i used spray foam that you use on tires for my wheelwells.. spray a little an let it soak before i wash.. then after i wash i spray more on, let it set and wipe clean.. the wd40 would make my undercarriage filthy if i were to use it where i live.. its plain DUSTY here in west texas and the spray foam seems to get the job done on all my parts seein as how it doesnt leave a greasy residue..
Whats spray foam? :confused013:

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Is it ok if some gets on the wheels though? Or is it harmful to them? I have black xd monsters

·
Registered
401 Posts
how about that scrubbing bubbles stuff for bathrooms? I thought about trying some of that

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
Try spraying your wheel wells with PAM after washing, it dries and does not collect dust. Mud slides off it like an egg coming out of a skillet. The 'spray foam' is absolutely GREAT when detailing, gets the plastic looking like new. I just drop a large trash bag over the tires/wheels to keep it off of them.

CD

·
Paranoid
432 Posts
I have used the spray foam in my wheel wells on every truck I've had and have had no trouble. I dont cover the wheel/tire, I actually spray the tire first and allow some overspray to get on the rim, then coat the inside of the wheel well. I let it set for minute or two then polish the rim and wipe the wheel well out (also have used compressed air to blow it out) and wipe the tire off. It keeps them looking new everytime you wash it.

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Spray your underside with ATF keeps it looking nice. Also helps in the winter as a barrier against the salt.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
No, just let your rear seal blow and it will take care of it for you. :party018:

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
What do you use to spray it on? Dilute it down at all?
No dont dilute it. Just put it in a spray bottle. The nice part about ATF is it doesnt break down plastics.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Does it collect alot of dust with at?

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Does it collect alot of dust with at?
LOL Ive never payed attention :confused013:. probably if you runnin dirt roads in the summer. But in the winter there not much dust. So you just hit it with a hose and the salt and sand washes off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts