Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For you long term inhabitants of this forum, please forgive me for reposting something that's probly been posted umpteen times over the years.

But, as a newbie, I wouldn't have even known to do this if someone hadn't taken the time to post it again.

182k on a newly acquired 08 with no service history and of course I'm going over it with the proverbial fine tooth comb.

Today I cleaned the MAP sensor. And a dirty old thing it was! Looked just about like nothing more than a lump of soot.

15 minutes and most of a can of carb spray and a little careful & gentle picking at some stubborn chunks inside the outer shell with a needle point pick and it's good to go.

Curious to see if it makes much difference like some posts have said.

For those of you that haven't checked yours, it takes a 15 torx. It looks like it's right out in the open, but there's enuf stuff in the area right where it would be nice to have your hand for manipulating the torx to get the screw out and back in. Of course it wouldn't do to mount the thing on the front of the intake! That wouldn't be any fun to make it easy.

Got my Mopar heater cord on today, too. Popped off all the air intake tubing from the box to the turbo in one piece, then got out my handy dandy large pliers and went to work. Of course the line from the oil filter head to the turbo was perfectly placed to be in the way (I think the engineers do that on purpose and then probly chuckle about it).

That plastic cap on the block heater was sorta tight but you just gotta be 10% smarter and 10% more stubborn than things like that, then you win.

Being an oem Mopar cord, it even came with 2 plugs for (Mopar, of course) battery blankets! Might come in handy when I get settled in WY.

Once I got the intake tubing off of the turbo, I saw an oil smudge on the turbo inlet opposite of where the CCV vent tube comes into the air inlet.

So a couple feet of 3/4 heater hose and a pipe plug or sawed off bolt or piece of smooth rod to plug the hose going into the air inlet are on my shopping list for tomorrow. That oil smudging in the turbo is going to come to an abrupt halt!

Tomorrow the heater grid gets cleaned and a new belt and pullies go on the front. I can see a little bit of the belt from underneath, it's gotta be in there -
somewhere! :-/

Then the Edge CTS gets mounted and hooked up, then a threaded hole for the pre-turbo EGT sensor and a banjo bung on the CP3 so I can keep an eye on the critical fuel supply to it, coming thru an extra filter / (mainly) water separator that's now "hanging out" just in front of the tank.

THEN it's delete and EGR time! Pipe and sims await. About the last of the goodies until later this spring, when a 2 micron absolute Cat 1R0750 filter will reside in line between the oem filter and the CP3, and (I HATE wiring under the dash!) an Edge turbo timer will, I'm sure, cause me great frustration with the wiring. I had a turbo timer on my big rig and I am an absolutely firm believer in them after how long our horses lasted. I used to cringe when fleet drivers would come barreling into the parking lots with engines at the redline, then slam on the brakes and hit the switch. I could pretty near hear the oil coking up and the turbo bearings starving.

Started a month ago with a RevMax 550, new Raybestos ball joints and new front U joints, ALL new fluids incl brakes, steering, coolant, transfer case and diff's. A couple days ago replaced the no-name oil filter the dealer stuck on and the lord-knows-what-for-oil in the crankcase. (Oh - a reinforcement for putting the EGR to sleep - that oil only had around 1k on it and already looked like black paint! My no-emissions big rigs that usually pulled 80k gross usually over 85 mph out West would go over 9k before the oil started to turn noticeably dark, but of course they held 17 gallons of oil, too.)

Doesn't the fun ever end?! I've already spent my next 2 months social security checks.

By the time I get it all road worthy, I'll have to sell it to pay for all the improvements!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the post and now that you brought it up - I need to clean my MAF sensor too. I recently installed a winter front on my truck and wow what difference does it make! At -20 below with 3 of the 4 flaps closed it keeps the engine at a constant 200 degrees vs. 170 to 200 degree swing while driving down the road.

Sounds like your truck will be tip top when you are done!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey there, Mr. Old Ram! When I read about your -20, I just had to look to see where you are at.

Lo and Behold! I know of what you speak because I spent my first 40 in Little Falls MN, between St Cloud and Brainerd, by Camp Ripley, and have been thru Pequot Lakes a bunch of times!

Small world.

I got a winter front when I got my block heater cord, but being rarely in the single digits here in SE MO even tho an unusually cold winter and not having to drive it then (retired!!) I haven't put it on yet. I big rigged for a few years between Chicago and Seattle/Denver/Salt Lake, running over the northern Rockies and thru the Dakotas and Montana in the winter so am a fervent believer in winter fronts!

But when I move to WY, well all bets are off then! My buddy who's been out there for about 20 yrs (we grew up together in MN) said one evening at 6:00pm it was around 30 below, and this was about 2 months ago. Of course they've had the roughest coldest winter there he can remember in quite a few years. But if it can happen once, it can happen again. So now I'm prepared if I need it.

Take care of yourself and don't freeze them off!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Small world indeed! Yup this winter given the block heater a workout! We're having some pretty big temp swings from -20 to 30 degrees and back again..... Keeping the Carharts & the Ice Armor suits handy.

We have a race a race shop in Fort Ripley across 371 from the Dewing hwy. A couple Christmases ago I was wrenching late in the shop listening to the 50's then hearing really loud artillery impacts, could feel the concussions against the walls, then heard choppers so I poked my head out the door and lo & behold the whole top of the bluff on the west side of Mississippi River was engulfed in flames! They literally started a forrest fire. So I cracked a beer & lit gar sat on the tail gate of Old Ram an watched the festivities! They put it out in about 45 minutes and as soon as it was out they went right back at it again!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about that. 15 miles from my home place, and I worked at "the Camps" for 5 years back in the early 80's. Yes, they can sure make things rumble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.