Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
do you think this is a result of the emssions standards?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Latin American Super Duty's have a 3.9L diesel called the MaxPower . 202 HP. Wooptydoo. Is it a 4bt?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope ford never gets the Cummins. If they do, I guess I would go back to my Chevrolet roots then. You wouldnt catch me dead in Ford.

·
Registered
101 Posts
how does scraping a diesel that gets 26 mpg seem like a good idea?

·
Registered
302 Posts
because people don't want to pay top dollar for that. Many people who want high mpg's go for a pri... sorry can't get myself to say that word. Or they deal with whatever they can get for a truck. It sucks because I would love to have a small light duty 1500 or even dakota with a decently powerful diesel, but that's not the high demand or what a new company wants to risk. They want to turn chrysler into a moneymaker, not lose their butt.

Something that confuses me is that yeah, 5.0 v8 ( I think) cummins in a 1500...cool. Though on the latest update of cummins quickserve there is no 5.0 v8. There is a new 4 cylinder with all the emissions devices as a 6.7 but as a 4.6L. Same as the old 4B's but they stopped making them when they started with the 6.7.

What would YOU want? a v8 5L or a 4 cylinder 4.6L in your 1500?

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
In a halfton that likely wouldnt pull/haul much if anything at all (my 1 tons been hooked to a trailer exactly......once in the nearly three years Ive owned it) Ill take a V8. Itd be a little runner. If it could turn 4500 or so, thatd be suitable for turning up and pickin on Powerstrokes. Gotta represent the Dodges and Cummins; in either I6 or "little" V8 guise

·
Registered
236 Posts
from stoke this 6.7 In a halfton that likely wouldnt pull/haul much if anything at all (my 1 tons been hooked to a trailer exactly......once in the nearly three years Ive owned it) Ill take a V8. Itd be a little runner. If it could turn 4500 or so, thatd be suitable for turning up and pickin on Powerstrokes. Gotta represent the Dodges and Cummins; in either I6 or "little" V8 guise

then why do you own a diesel truck if you dont haul or tow anything??

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
One word: performance. Ive wanted a twin turbo Cummins Dodge since like 98, way before there were any kits out there. You cant take a gasser, make it put 700hp to the tires, and drive it everyday reliably, in my opinion. Plus the fact I need 4x4 in the winter, I had to get a truck. So combine the two, there was only one truck on the market that would give me what I wanted. And Im a Mopar man at heart

·
Registered
230 Posts
Im aware of that. Im talking here in America, where it matters. I dont see myself ever going to Brazil, much less buying a truck there. And even if I could buy a Ford with a Cummins, I wouldnt waste money on one
I kept my mouth shut this time. :lol4:

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's what I was thinking. There seem to be lots of guys here who are into horsepower for the sake of it, which is fine for them, but it just seems silly to me to think of a truck in any terms other than the work I want it to do.

In that regard, a simpler motor in 3.9l would likely suit my needs even better than my 3/4 ton. 200 hp and 400ft lbs of torque delivering 25mpg or more? Sounds great to me.

·
Armchair Mechanic
1,586 Posts
Everybody wavin their panties hoping for a Ford with a Cummins can stop. Itll never happen. Guaranteed. Not now. Not in 10 years. Not in 20. Im not saying itll be in a Dodge in 20 years :)pray: please, please, please) but itll be a cold day in hell when a Ford rolls off the assembly line with a Cummins under the hood. If Dodge and Cummins split, I foresee Cummins leaving the light-duty market, not going with Ford or GM or another manufacturer with the I-6...

Ford used to own a considerable share in Cummins. In 95' the F250 and F350's had 12v Cummins in them from the factory for a short period of time. I have only seen one of them in person. A very very rare truck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
at one point ford owned 7% of one division of cummins. that's all. They sold it off pretty fast. Never seen a ford pickup with a cummins that wasn't home brewed. is possible i guess. you could get em in the 650's on up tho.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't worry "strokin" my truck doesn't do much in the way of haulin or towin. granted we bought it with the intention of doing that but life has a funny way of changing plans.

As far as performance or workability goes, they used 3.9L 4b's and eventually 4bt's in bread trucks for a long time. Bread isn't heavy but a dually box truck full of wheat bread is probably around the same weight as our big trucks. They got around, albeit on their own sweet time but they did their job. Imagine a 4.7 inline that makes 250+ hp and 450+ tq, that should be enough to get a 5500 lb half ton on its way.

Oh and I would love to have a 1/2 dodge reg cab short bed with a 300hp 4bt in it for my main driver but damn california :banghead:

·
Registered
230 Posts
at one point ford owned 7% of one division of cummins. that's all. They sold it off pretty fast. Never seen a ford pickup with a cummins that wasn't home brewed. is possible i guess. you could get em in the 650's on up tho.
:ditto: :thumbsup:

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Ford used to own a considerable share in Cummins. In 95' the F250 and F350's had 12v Cummins in them from the factory for a short period of time. I have only seen one of them in person. A very very rare truck.
:hehe: :hehe: No they didnt. Not a single Ford, 95 or otherwise, rolled off the assembly line with a Cummins under the hood. Not one. (again, excluding the 650/750)

I guess 10% could be called "considerable"; when I look at it, 10% is considerably more than Ill ever own in it

·
Registered
238 Posts
hey, i'm looking at getting a 650 and i'm confused, anybody know if I can get it with a cummins?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts