Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is better chrome or pollished aluminum wheels?

·
Registered
287 Posts
IMO...aluminum. Unless you go with a good quality chrome, it will more than likely rust at one point or another and then you have a rusty rim, with aluminum you can polish them when they corode or tarnish and bring them back to a nice shine...almost to look like chrome if you want to spend the time on them.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
IMO Polished all the way. I hate chrome and want to get rid of all the chrome on my truck. But thats just my .02

·
Registered
151 Posts
CHROME CHROME CHROME, i made the mistake of buyin polished aluminum rims for my 88 land cruiser when i was younger, and what a pain in the ace to keep a shine on! I'd much rather a chrome rim where basically all you have to do is wet it and wipe it to keep a bright shine on them!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Aluminum! you just have to take the time to shine them up real nice, but the look is FAR better IMO

·
Registered
208 Posts
Aluminum sucks because of how hard they are to keep clean. Chrome will eventually rust - but is a million times easier to clean, and since I am a lazy @$$ I would go back with Chrome again. By the way - if you dont clean your alum rims they can oxidize and they can also stain. talk about $hitty trying to clean that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i need to make a choice soon im planning on getting my lift on in a matter of weeks just need to get tires and wheels. i heard that the chrome rusts very fast, and a buddy of mine has aluminum and they have stained

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
I've had polished alum on my chevy for the past 5 years, there awesome at first... but if you get lax on cleaning them they turn into a milky silver look. "Aluminum if you wanna clean 'em, Chrome won't get you home, Black is where its at!"

·
Registered
306 Posts
chrome. I had chrome aluminum wheels and only cleaned them every to every other month. Had them for 2 years. Took 10 minutes to clean all four and they looked great when I finished. If you buy a chrome plated aluminum wheel, there will not be any rusting. Aluminum does not rust. If you buy chrome plated steel wheels, it will eventually rust as the chrome chips in time. I have had both and chrome is so much easier. As long as the wheel is aluminum and its from a good brand, you have no worries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What brand would be the one of the best and not too espensive? i want something that will last and be a quick clean.

·
Registered
362 Posts
CHROME...........to he!! with aluminum. They never look the same after you take them out of the box they came in. Just my past experiance. And yes I did keep them clean and polished and it did not help they just faded into that milkey silver color that other guy was talking about. I bought Chrome for my last truck and a damp towl would shine them right up and they never rusted on me.....not one spot. JMO I know it dosnt count for much:thumbsup

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Eagle Alloy chrome have held very well and aren't overly expensive. A good chrome wheel is the way to go. polished wheels take way to much time to keep clean.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There are allot of good brands out there. The only advice I can give there is to search the net and pick out styles you like cause everybody likes something different. Then start another thread with the wheels you pick out to get other members input on them. There are enough guys here that you should find somebody that will have experience with whatever wheel you pick.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Chrome Forged
I bought these 20X10 with 5 inch back spacing... But thinking of selling them. Not sure if I want to lift my truck now with Fuel prices the way they are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chrome VS Aliminum

I've had both.

Aluminum looks great out of the box, but requires a lot of work to keep that shine. I dulls out almost immediately once exposed to the elements.

Chrome looks great and is easier to keep clean. If you live in the North were they use salt on the roads in the winter, then they will be subject to pitting and corroding. Take them off in the winter and store them until the snow is gone.

Black is becoming very popular and will be maintenance free.

For aluminum wheels, check Alcoa. This company makes the same wheels that are found on the big rigs and hold up much better over time than conventional aluminum wheels. The only problem is that the sizes and styles are limited.

·
Registered
297 Posts
KUHROME!!! Aluminum requires polishing. Polishing requires some sort of bending, stooping. I'm too old and fat to do that anymore.

Chrome might not get you home, but it'll darn sure get you [email protected]!d.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the good information!!! when i get the wheels i will let everyone know about it, still deciding have to think it over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts