Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 13 Posts

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rear end had started a howling noise. Temp gunned the rotors suspecting i may have had a caliper hanging up or something. Decided to tear apart the diff/

This is why you don't use Chinese bearings. SKF in particular. Had a long talk with the best driveline shop in my town about this and the primary brand he absolutely refuses to use is SKF.

I replaced this bearing 14 months ago or about 20000kms.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I will only use Timken or Koyo bearings from now on.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t even realize skf sold out to China until reading this. I’ve always seen them as equal to timken, nachi, nsk… I guess not anymore. I wonder how long before the rest follow…
Hopefully Timken doesn't sell out and earn their execution for treason.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC, Koyo was oem , not sure where they are made now, but originally Japan.
Still Japan. The USA Standard Gear kit for the diff are all Koyo. That is what is in my diff currently with 515k. I'm just going to replace all 8 as preventative maintenance.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it would be worth it especially if you are putting in a higher quality premium grease.

When I had my grizzly 700s I had a couple wheel bearing failures so I bought a special bearing greaser for them. Greased them all with a water resistant amsoil grease. Never had a failure again.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would recommend greasing up the wheel bearings. I know it's really controversial if it is necessary but when I searched there was someone with a trailer transporting service that was doing it and getting 500k+ out of stock wheel bearings. I used this and it was super cheap and easy. I just used Lucas wheel bearing lube as it was the same color as my skf unit bearings.

Did that grease fitting work on your truck? The website says Ford Dana axles.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like the exact footprint as ours, I’m sure timken and other manufactures utilize the same abs sensor on nearly every hub. As much as I like the concept you’d have to remove the brakes each time to get access. Would pumping grease into the housing lubricate the bearing themselves, generally bearings are packed?
I think if one were to spin the bearing while pumping grease it would work. I really want to cut an old bearing apart and see where the seals are. If it is just a seal on either side of the unit or 2 sealed bearing within the unit. I do know that when I have removed the abs sensor there was grease in there. My guess without cutting it open would be that the grease is throughout

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's always sad to see once respected brands move production to china and go down the drain. penny pinchers thinking they can save money at the expense of the consumer...
It's treason in my eyes. The governments job is to protect our best interests. Jobs, sovereignty, etc.

It also contradicts this climate alarmism by encouraging unnecessary shipping around the world.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Either way all I can do is spread the word. Maybe the more people demand USA or Japanese bearings the more they might be inclined to provide them.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Honestly, i'm fine with a lot of Mexico production too (and Canadian for that matter). Korea depends on what it is, there are some things that they do great. Other things in my industry they don't. Haven't had a single problem with the Japan stuff...and my problem with stuff from Europe is in the middle of summer the entire continent goes on vacation right as things swing to full busy here, anything that needs to come out of Europe goes from a 1 week lead time to a 2 month lead time because everyone went on vacation. But as with anything, the best way you can get corporations to see is with your dollar. If i see two identical products, and one is made in China, and one isn't, i rarely if ever buy the made in china one. It's one thing to complain about it, but speaking with your money gets the point across better. People need to realize that you get what you pay for, if you spend a little more up front, you tend to spend less overall
Complaining/informing others will help people make the right decision and like you said talk with their money.

Reactions: Loki223

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’d be curious to see their QC specs 5 years ago compared to now, both in manufacturing tolerances and metallurgy. Was there a change? Did you maybe just get a bad unit? Generally speaking anything that goes to China goes downhill in all aspects, I’d just be curious to see hard numbers.
A few years ago I did a job for a large oil company and in their prejob meetings they said they don't want to use Chinese made materials; pipe, fittings, flanges for anything welded into the system.

They said the reason is they have had the most failures with Chinese stuff and during investigation found their MTRs (metallurgy test reports) to be fraudulent. Then of course once starting this job some pipe that could only come from China showed up. They had me bring a welder to our laydown and send coupons to Edmonton for metallurgical analysis.

Reactions: Loki223

·
2,864 Posts
That's why I drive an older truck when much less of it was made by [removed]. My buddy is a mechanic at the Dodge dealer and said he'd never buy a new one.

·
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I too have heard that from my machinist when talking to the self employed and dealer mechanics. GM and Ford are the worst with actual mechanical engine problems along with injectors. Dodge's have a good motor still but you'll still get soaked everytime it needs work unless you're under warranty unless they deam it to self-inflicted from poor service. It's just not really worth it unless you intend on not working on it and trading it in before the warranty's up but seems pretty wasteful to me if you're talking about efficiency and I'd rather maintain something myself with how things are going where you can't find anyone who wants to work.
The newer the vehicle the more parts are harder to get because the aftermarket industry has given up replicating much of newer parts because the auto industry changes them so much. So it isn't feasible when a part may only be used in a couple vehicles for a couple years.

Reactions: Marq92
1 - 12 of 13 Posts