Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rear end had started a howling noise. Temp gunned the rotors suspecting i may have had a caliper hanging up or something. Decided to tear apart the diff/

This is why you don't use Chinese bearings. SKF in particular. Had a long talk with the best driveline shop in my town about this and the primary brand he absolutely refuses to use is SKF.

I replaced this bearing 14 months ago or about 20000kms.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I will only use Timken or Koyo bearings from now on.

·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t even realize skf sold out to China until reading this. I’ve always seen them as equal to timken, nachi, nsk… I guess not anymore. I wonder how long before the rest follow…
Hopefully Timken doesn't sell out and earn their execution for treason.

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,279 Posts
That really sucks to hear. It seems the bearings manufactured country varies at least for when I got my front wheel bearings. I was going to go Timken initially went with SKF due to posts by Thuren employee saying they were the same as Mopar and Timkens being mixed of Chinese junk and the others. I think my SKF's were Koyo if my memory serves me correctly but I'm sure they vary as well. Seems like Timken's are the way to go for traditional bearing in differentials though as I've seen on Torque King's website.

·
Maybe a Mod
I Know Nothing
3,100 Posts
We use Timken in aircraft wheel bearings.

But then again, they don’t really get used all that much…

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
always wondered why some people said Timken Bearings are bad and use SKF instead? Timken invented and patented the tapered wheel bearing after all.

·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC, Koyo was oem , not sure where they are made now, but originally Japan.
Still Japan. The USA Standard Gear kit for the diff are all Koyo. That is what is in my diff currently with 515k. I'm just going to replace all 8 as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
We use Timken in aircraft wheel bearings.

But then again, they don’t really get used all that much…
Dude, that's some important chit when they are being used. Don't make it sound so miniscule.

Reactions: steve05ram360

·
Maybe a Mod
I Know Nothing
3,100 Posts
Dude, that's some important chit when they are being used. Don't make it sound so miniscule.
True, but repacking is done once a year anyways…

·
Registered
297 Posts
So, as I’m in the process of going thru my front end I’m replacing my unit bearings. Passenger one was just starting to hum and I have both sides apart doing ball joints anyway so why not the driver side too. I went with timkens… both are stamped Made in Korea. Still better then China… but not what I expected from them.

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,279 Posts
I would recommend greasing up the wheel bearings. I know it's really controversial if it is necessary but when I searched there was someone with a trailer transporting service that was doing it and getting 500k+ out of stock wheel bearings. I used this and it was super cheap and easy. I just used Lucas wheel bearing lube as it was the same color as my skf unit bearings.

·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it would be worth it especially if you are putting in a higher quality premium grease.

When I had my grizzly 700s I had a couple wheel bearing failures so I bought a special bearing greaser for them. Greased them all with a water resistant amsoil grease. Never had a failure again.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I would recommend greasing up the wheel bearings. I know it's really controversial if it is necessary but when I searched there was someone with a trailer transporting service that was doing it and getting 500k+ out of stock wheel bearings. I used this and it was super cheap and easy. I just used Lucas wheel bearing lube as it was the same color as my skf unit bearings.

it can't hurt as long as you do it often enough.

·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Did that grease fitting work on your truck? The website says Ford Dana axles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It looks like the exact footprint as ours, I’m sure timken and other manufactures utilize the same abs sensor on nearly every hub. As much as I like the concept you’d have to remove the brakes each time to get access. Would pumping grease into the housing lubricate the bearing themselves, generally bearings are packed?

·
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like the exact footprint as ours, I’m sure timken and other manufactures utilize the same abs sensor on nearly every hub. As much as I like the concept you’d have to remove the brakes each time to get access. Would pumping grease into the housing lubricate the bearing themselves, generally bearings are packed?
I think if one were to spin the bearing while pumping grease it would work. I really want to cut an old bearing apart and see where the seals are. If it is just a seal on either side of the unit or 2 sealed bearing within the unit. I do know that when I have removed the abs sensor there was grease in there. My guess without cutting it open would be that the grease is throughout

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
15,150 Posts
It's always sad to see once respected brands move production to china and go down the drain. penny pinchers thinking they can save money at the expense of the consumer...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts