Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm gonna be doing my while front end( tie rods, idle arms, leveling kit etc) sometimes this weekend maybe next and I want to be prepared as well as have all the right torque specifications and etc. Which manuals do you guys recommend? Any tips? My truck actually blew out a tire yesterday, while also simultaneously having issues with the starter contacts right after I worked alone all night because my coworker called off and I had a final the same day. So yes safe to say I got pissed and parked the truck. I wanna do the front end right, have it aligned right, and get some good fresh tires for it. Thanks for your help your opinions will be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
While you cannot properly get the pages of the digital FSM dirty, you can always use a junker laptop & put some smudges on the screen... And, it's free.

Ed

• Haha
Reactions: joeyvans

·
Registered
978 Posts
Chilton or Haynes? NEITHER! FSM hands down...

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Genos garage offers a factory service manual on CD for about $35. That is the best legit manual you can get.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
It's actually false you can get pages of the fsm dirty... I got hooked up with 1,260 pages front to back of the fsm lol to answer the question tho it is the best manual

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Thing is awesome can even fix my heated seat issue with it. I went ahead and tried printing it at work. Holy! Even with printing on both sides if sheet it's still like 1400 pages. Only got about a 1/4-1/2 done before printer overheated or computer froze haha. I'll try again throughout the week. Thanks again!

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Thanks guys! Thing is awesome can even fix my heated seat issue with it. I went ahead and tried printing it at work. Holy! Even with printing on both sides if sheet it's still like 1400 pages. Only got about a 1/4-1/2 done before printer overheated or computer froze haha. I'll try again throughout the week. Thanks again!

Seriously don't print it all. 99% you will never ever need as it has all the gasser, 1/2 ton info.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts

I used our 70ppm Lexmark printer at work. Mine came out to 1,200 pages front and back. Be prepared to go get some big binders. Lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have both the Haynes and a paper copy of the '00 factory service manual. I use the Haynes as a "quick reference" resource and call the FSM the Chrysler Bible. It was worth the money to invest in the fsm, IMO, the amount of detail in there helps complex jobs seem a lot simpler.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
I was gonna cut out the gasser stuff but the more I looked at it the 3.9 5.2 and 5.9 are used in a lot of other things too so might as well keep it for reference. Didnt cost me anything to print so im ok with it lol

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
I agree on the FSM, but if I had to choose between chilton or Haynes, it would chilton all day every day, and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I use my Haynes #30041 manual on the workbench for quick reference and pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm gonna be doing my while front end( tie rods, idle arms, leveling kit etc) sometimes this weekend maybe next and I want to be prepared as well as have all the right torque specifications and etc. Which manuals do you guys recommend? Any tips? My truck actually blew out a tire yesterday, while also simultaneously having issues with the starter contacts right after I worked alone all night because my coworker called off and I had a final the same day. So yes safe to say I got pissed and parked the truck. I wanna do the front end right, have it aligned right, and get some good fresh tires for it. Thanks for your help your opinions will be appreciated.

Why can't anyone just answer the question? Obviously the factory book is best..but like now I'm stuck on something stupid and need an answer rite now and am trying to fig out which book to get rite now
.. Not in 3 days from Amazon..like rite now..so since every forum has the same chatter and no one answers the question ...I'll just roll the dice and try chiltons I guess

·
Registered
21,444 Posts
FSM, just ask here, and use You Tube. I can tell you this, Start with a good diagnosis check first and then buy what you need rather than buy parts to do diagnosis by trial and error on the check book.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts