Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

chicken lights question....

5660 Views 50 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Mopar Petercar '01
ok, any second gen guys ever put the lil "chicken lights" on their bumper? if so, how did ya wire em in?:confused013:

i tried, and FAILED, terribly...:doh::banghead::buttkick:

TIA for any insight:thumbsup::yourock:
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, that's the look i'm goin for...:thumbsup: :hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail:

course, i have a ranch hand, and i'm a SRW and, have 35 inch tires...:D

· Registered
544 Posts
yes, that's the look i'm goin for...:thumbsup: :hail::hail::hail: :hail::hail::hail:

course, i have a ranch hand, and i'm a SRW and, have 35 inch tires...:D
I may not be able to help u with the ranch hand bumper but SRW w/ 35s r sweet. need get me a set but gettin six is alot of :$: :doh:

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i'm sure....:shock:

sad thing is that i have the holes drilled in the bumper and everything...:doh:

i had to plug up the holes with bolts for now, painted em black so they don't stick out:D

· Registered
227 Posts
Its pretty straight forward. Not sure what kind of plugs your lights have. It's easiest to run them in series. First mount all you lights. Then on one end of the series find a good grd. Then run a wire light to light. On the last one run the wire up to rather your fuse block under the hood or to your headlight switch. The wiring that comes out of fuse block is a huge ball of wires. But not to hard to find the running light wire. I've got pictures of mine when I wired in a interupter swith.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, what my dumb a$$ did was run a ground lead to a bolt, then, ran the positive wire to where the fuse goes on the block, got a few sparks outta that...:shock::doh:

:D

· Registered
227 Posts
Well you will get a spark when you first touch the wire to power. Did the light come on?

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, i think so....:confused013:

i was out at 11 o'clock Friday night doin it, so, i don't really remember exactly what i did...:doh::lol4::lol4:

· Registered
227 Posts
It sounds like you were on the right track. If you tap into the wire after the fuse block you should hurt anything. What ever you do make sure you use shrink wrap on all the connectors or you'll be pullin your hair out tryin to fight little green monsters every where. Heres a pic I took when I did my switch.

· Registered
227 Posts
Not to bad. Theres three screws if I recall. One on each side then one on the finder. Then the bottom cover pops off. You have to be care full when you cut the tape where it wires come out. just find the wire in the bundle and splice it there. I spliced mine outside to box. Once you got your splice in just retape the wires like they were. And put everything back together.

· Registered
227 Posts
Let me know how it works out for ya! And post some night pictures as well.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i only bought two to go on the very side of my Ranch Hand for now, but, i think i'll get a few more for the front:D

i was wantin to run the ones on the front as park lights, and the ones on the sides as park/turn, how hard would that be?:confused013:

· Registered
1,899 Posts
You'd have to get a dual filament bulb as the side marker and then find a socket to wire up to it in order to have the bulb light up and blink at the same time.

· Registered
227 Posts
To do that you will have to do things a little different. I'd run power for the runing lights from the same place. I'm guessing your wanting five total lights. Outsides will be marker/turn and middle three will be marker. I'd ground the outside lights separate. The center three to one point. Bring your common power wire to the far left light first, then to the center, then to the right light. For you turn sigs you can tap into your turn sig at the headlamp. Does that make since?

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You'd have to get a dual filament bulb as the side marker and then find a socket to wire up to it in order to have the bulb light up and blink at the same time.
couldn't i run the power wire to both the park fuse and turn one, and, wouldn't it work as both?:confused013:

· Registered
227 Posts
This might help. The wiring on a single filament is harder. Its better to use a dual filament buld. What kinda light to you have?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.