Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
In my opinion all of the truck makers have left behind a big part of the segment, those of us who don't need 800ft.lbs of torque and just want a fuel efficient 3/4 ton to use for a truck camper and occasional semi-heavy loads of firewood or building materials. I think that if you're not a dealership owner pulling a 6 car trailer, or something like that, these new diesels are way overkill.

The power level on my 98.5 is perfect for what I need and it has the great fuel mileage to go along with it, unlike the gasoline engine alternatives. Would I prefer to have a new truck and not have to pound my fist on the dashboard to get my headlights to turn on? Absolutely. I got all excited a couple years ago when Dodge announced Cummins was building a new small fuel-efficient diesel for them that would have about the same output as my 98.5, but then it never materialized. The wait continues.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In my opinion all of the truck makers have left behind a big part of the segment, those of us who don't need 800ft.lbs of torque and just want a fuel efficient 3/4 ton to use for a truck camper and occasional semi-heavy loads of firewood or building materials. I think that if you're not a dealership owner pulling a 6 car trailer, or something like that, these new diesels are way overkill.

The power level on my 98.5 is perfect for what I need and it has the great fuel mileage to go along with it, unlike the gasoline engine alternatives. Would I prefer to have a new truck and not have to pound my fist on the dashboard to get my headlights to turn on? Absolutely. I got all excited a couple years ago when Dodge announced Cummins was building a new small fuel-efficient diesel for them that would have about the same output as my 98.5, but then it never materialized. The wait continues.

Yep, I fully agree. Seems odd that there is such a power war amongst the big three especially since the days of inexpensive diesel seem to be going away.

The majority of trailers being pulled by diesels are less than 12,000 pounds. A more powerful engine is definitely unnecessary for most people's needs.

I imagine the pendulum may start swinging the other way if diesel prices keep creeping up and stay there.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Yep, I fully agree. Seems odd that there is such a power war amongst the big three especially since the days of inexpensive diesel seem to be going away.

The majority of trailers being pulled by diesels are less than 12,000 pounds. A more powerful engine is definitely unnecessary for most people's needs.

I imagine the pendulum may start swinging the other way if diesel prices keep creeping up and stay there.
Ever walked around a campground? Most of the 8000 trailers are being pulled by gassers. Trailers are getting bigger and bigger every year. When toyboxes came out that upped the competition.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Diesel's are awesome in everyway. I pull a backhoe to any other kind of load everyday. I'll never buy a gas love the power and might I just add TURBO!!!!! I like big trucks and diesel have power anyday to lift and have big tires. I hated driving a gas with big tires and the transmission shifting from 4th to overdrive. Power and speed sucked!!!! Diesel Power all the way my friends!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I was talking to a salesman about this new upgrade. I was told it's basically a computer chip Chrysler is putting in the truck. I SOOOOOO want one of these trucks.....

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
I was talking to a salesman about this new upgrade. I was told it's basically a computer chip Chrysler is putting in the truck. I SOOOOOO want one of these trucks.....
Another salesman that is selling something he knows nothing about....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts