Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my 04.5. This started after I got back from deployment. Backstory, I did a minor rebuild/clean/replace on the transmission after it started slipping. Cleaned every passage of the VB, installed a shift kit to boost PSI, replaced all the solenoids/transducers/etc, and reinstalled. Looking good. Then I went underway for a few months, got back, and the batteries were dead. Jumped them, next day, dead. So I replaced the batteries. Started getting the "Check Gages" light. Then the truck kept dying on me. I researched the crap out of it, and wired in an external voltage regulator. Still getting the check gages, and the batteries were only at 10-11 volts measured on a Fluke. I disconnected and did resistance checks on every single charging cable, ground, etc. Everything was good. Good terminals, etc. I said screw it, replaced the alternator. 14+ volts measured on the batteries!

Problem is, I'm still getting the check gages. For example, today, I started the truck with the door open, the dash volt meter went to about 15 (I know, it's innacurate, but I know it's getting some sort of signal intermittently). I closed the door, and when it slammed, the Check Gages came on, and the volt meter dropped to 8. I just measured the charging voltage on the batteries as 14.7- 14.9 on both, from terminal to terminal, from positive to block, from positive to body. I know the batteries and charging and the truck is driveable. Problem is, it will never pass Hawaii's Safety check with the dash problems, even if it's not a real problem. I know I'm looking for a loose wire somewhere, but does anyone know where the dash volt meter gets it's signal from? I know the alternator charges the passenger's battery, and I've heard the volt meter comes from the driver's. But is there any wiring run that's easy to check?

And if it comes down to it, how do I just pull the power to the Check Gages light bulb to pass inspection? :spank:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
From the research I did, the gauge gets it's voltage signal from the drivers side battery. I was having a similar problem and the post terminals were loose. Can't say where you might look for a loose wire. Might be a loose or corroded cable going into the ring terminals or cable ends.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.