Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unplugged my map sensor today to see what it would do. It made my check engine light come on! any idea why? I also don't see why anyone would want to unplug that thing! It had NO BALLS when it was unplugged!! No Fun!! But, I wanna know why the check engine light is on!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Interrupted a signal coming from/going to the ecm. Didn't know what it needed to do, thats why it had no power, let you know something was amiss via the little amber light.

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So with the map sensor plugged back in I should be good to go? The check engine light is still on. But, truck has its power back!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
All you need to do to kill the light is clear the code.

·
Registered
991 Posts
the map sensor senses intake manifold pressure, basically senses boost and puts in fuel accordingly. if you un-plug the sensor the engine sense's no pressure thus puts in no fuel.

now you can go the otherway and do a boost fooler which makes the computer think its got full boost all the time.

you shouldnt really have to worry about messing with ur stuff, but dude, if you dont know what it does, dont mess with it, you could mess with somethin that screws up the engine

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know what the MAP sensor does. It stands for MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE. But, I just figured the light would go out when I plugged it back in. I'm gonna leave it plugged in now. Didn't do much anyway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Start it and shut it off 6 times, that should clear the code and the light should go out if there are no other problems.

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that did it. Light is off now. But someone tell me what is the point of disconnecting the map sensor? Truck had no power whatsoever! It did smoke a little bit more but I couldn't stand drivin it because of the power issue!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Where did you read or hear that unplugging the map sensor will help w/ anything?!!

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, on this website! Supposed to smoke!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think he is talking about that hokey, jethro, "smoke switch" idea without the switch i guess. Wanted to throw more smoke? Thats a fad that needs to go away, the smoke switch idea, its stupid.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can't say enough bad about it, But people always know everything BEWARE THE SMOKE SWITCH, get a better job, make more $ and build your truck, the smoke will come, i promise.

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he is talking about that hokey, jethro, "smoke switch" idea without the switch i guess. Wanted to throw more smoke? Thats a fad that needs to go away, the smoke switch idea, its stupid.
Yeah, I agree, you are right. Its not worth it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yea, I didnt want you to think i was calling you or anybody for that matter stupid. Its just not worth it, isnt great for the rig, and if your not throwing big power but lots of smoke, your screwing everybody. Those damn hippies watch for it. If your gonna throw smoke, then your rig should move itself out of it. Make it worth it, lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yea the map sensor idea is like 0o0o0o0 watch what I can do, make no power but make alot of smoke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts