Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first diesel and I just got my first check engine light with the error code listed above. Said exhaust pressure low, VG Turbo fault and gasket failure. The dealership performed VG turbo clean and replaced the failed gasket and the system passed. Basically what they told me was it was from putting around but I haul a landscape trailer or ski boat lots of the time but I do go back and forth on some short errands. What can I do besides changing how I drive to fix this. The truck still has warranty and I spoke with the service manager who was pretty cool about overlooking a few mods. What mod or upgrade could I do to prevent this from happening?????

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
First fill out your sig with your truck year and style of truck; such as 2010, 2500HD,6 spd auto, 3:73 gears and 4X4 SB Mega Cab or something like that.

When the EPA required the changes to the diesel emission this has prevent the use of the diesel trucks to be used as grocery getters. Short runs made day in and day out. Now to prevent sooting up the turbo two things can be done very easily with no warranty issues to the truck.
1. Turn the exhaust brake on every time you start the truck and drive with it on. This will help with the turbo from sooting up and preventing the sliding vanes from sticking.
2. Un-plug the EGR valve at the intake air-horn. This will help in eliminate a lot of the soot from entering the air intake and harming the engine and turbo.

Now if you want to go off the deep end than follow this advice.
Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I have been this way since Nov 09 with no warranty issue or any engine problems. But I am my own warranty station.
Jim W.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply! Where can I find the EGR valve at the air intake horn, can you give me directions from my radiator hose...lol Also where is the exhaust brake to turn on? This is my first diesel and I'm such a noob.

2008 Dodge 2500 Texas edition, crew cab, auto, 4x4, 6.7l

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I unplugged EGR, besides the check engine light will this harm it over time?

·
Registered
199 Posts
no harm, just annoying as H3LL. a programmer can fix that light for you, not sure if u still have a warranty but most likely will void ur warranty once you take it in and they see you had a programmer at some point. and i said MOST likely. there are some people who say that their dealerships wont void ur warranty, but thats far and few between. also depends if you dont mind spending $600 on an engine light remover

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.