Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that lots of folks have check engine light problems and I've had them before. So here is my latest--I am repeatedly getting three codes--622, 1689 and 1693. Usually the engine will hesitate slightly--like no acceleration-for a second before the CE comes on. Sometimes I can go 300 miles before it happens and sometimes it will repeat in 20 miles. I had it in the shop and right now they are saying it is a communications problem but they want more time to diagnose the problem. Trouble is we are leaving on a trip shortly and I need to have confidence my 1998 24-valve 3/4 ton dodge won't die on me. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? Thanks.

· Registered
1,783 Posts
P1689 No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module
P1693 is a companion code, nothing to worry about.
P0622 Alternator Field Improper Switching- Sounds like a dying alt. Is it charging normally?

Did the shop find the communication problem?

· Registered
1,230 Posts
1689 is usually a death code for the IP. The little computer on top of the injection pump lost its electronic mind..

If you are lucky it may be a spurious code due to voltage spikes in the electrical system caused by the failing alternator.

Try disconnecting the alternator and drive it a few miles.

Ops

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
The little computer on top of the injection pump lost its electronic mind..
Ops
Thats a good way of putting it:lol3:

But yes it sounds like you need to get a injection put on there before it does leave you stranded:$::thud:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.