Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on this morning. I checked the codes. I get a 12 and a 32. I'm betting that the 12 is a battery disconnected within the last xx start cycles based on my previous 2.2 turbo Dodge experience. The previous owner replaced both batteries a few weeks before I bought it. What is the 32? I've looked all over the place for a listing of fault codes and can't seem to find them for the 94-98 trucks. Does anybody have a link for me? Thanks!

·
Diesel Junkie
4,685 Posts
I'm looking for a link for 1st gen codes.....found 2nd and 3rd gen,but not 1st.......still looking:thumbsup

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. My 1997 3500 flashes the codes on the dash when you turn the key on-off-on-off-on. My 1998 Ram 1500 doesn't flash codes, so I guess they changed it that year. That website should say "98-01" instead of "96-01".

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My '95 service manual does not show a 32 code. There are no engine codes for a 2nd gen 12 valve because the engine is all mechanical. The 32 may have something to do with the transmission or charging system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've found the fault codes for Intrepids, minivans, and 2.2/2.5 turbo cars. 32 has something to do with EGR in all those models.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If your truck is a CA truck with an EGR valve that would make sense.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
Code #32 isn't used on a diesel engine.
Diesel codes listed here 94 Diesel Ram DTC's

'98 & 99' are the only years the key off/on trick doesn't work on, they need a code reader.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Bill,

The CA trucks made between Jan 1, '96 and Dec 31, 98 had EGR valves. The '94 didn't have it so if 32 is an EGR valve code it would not be listed for the '94. One of the problems with disabling the EGR valve on CA trucks is if you don't do it right it will throw a CEL. In order to prevent that I think you short the sensor connector. I don't know if the code for it 1s 32, but that sure sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help, guys.

Well, when I first showed pictures of my truck, some people thought it was a CA truck. It was supposedly purchased brand new in TN. I have the original owner's telephone number, so I think I will give him a call.

Here is a picture of my engine.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You don't need to give him a call. That ugly tube over the engine between the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold is only on EGR trucks. The thing giving you the code is probably the electrical connector in front of the air intake horn or the sensor it's connected to.

Reactions: unomauser

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you get rid of it without it throwing codes? I'm not an electrical expert by any means. In the mean time, I'll fool around with the connector. Thanks for your help Joe G.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Take the tube off. Block the holes in the manifolds with some steel plates. Put a jumper in the connector. I think that is all you have to do, but if I forgot something maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one of those ugly tubes also and mine was a State of Ca. (CalTrans ) rod maintenance vehicle. I had a 33 code but cleaned up th neg. terminals and a ground wire (small) was on a painted surface so I sanded the paint off and 33 code is clear. Just a harmless 12 code remains...This board is great!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take the tube off. Block the holes in the manifolds with some steel plates. Put a jumper in the connector. I think that is all you have to do, but if I forgot something maybe someone else will chime in.
Hi there. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram dually with a cummins 12 valve Diesel engine. When you say put a jumper in the connector, how do I make a connector.

·
Registered
682 Posts
This thread has been dead for 11 years and none of the previous posters have been on in at least 5 years - not likely that any of them will answer.

The connector that was referred to is the diagnostic connector under the dash - you don't need to make that. The post you quoted mentions making a jumper wire to connect two terminals in the diagnostic connector - presumably to cause the PCM to display trouble codes via the CEL (Check Engine Light). I used to use that method on my '88 Chevy gasser (which is an OBD-I truck), before i bought my first scan tool. Unless you know for sure the jumper-wire method will work on a '97 Dodge AND you know which terminals to jumper, don't try it - instead, try the key method described in post #6 or get a code reader or cheap scan tool.

Trouble codes are listed in the factory service manual (FSM) - there is a sticky at the top of the forum with links to free downloadable copies, or you can get the paper versions from Geno's Garage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts