Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 5.9 and my check engine light came on today. I have a tad over 22,000 miles on the truck. There seems to be nothing wrong with the truck running and all the guages are fine.

Could this be one of those automatic maintenance lights that the dealers have come on to lure you in? Or what do you think it is?

No I do not have a device to read the codes. If I did I would have started there.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump....

nothing?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cycle the key from off, to on 3 times, leaving it in the on position on the 3rd time.

Read the code that shows in your odometer display.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Mine started doing that after adding my chip, intake, exhaust, etc. I'm convinced it's the tranny slipping because it all started with a 4 wheel drive full throttle launch w/ stock tranny. All started around the same miles as yours. Were you givin it hell when it happened (full throttle)? Mines def from the abuse. Mines an 06', but my dads did the same thing when he passsed someone at full throttle...his is an 05'. The oversized tires definately makes it easier for this to happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cycle the key from off, to on 3 times, leaving it in the on position on the 3rd time.

Read the code that shows in your odometer display.
I will try this. I didn't know that trick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine started doing that after adding my chip, intake, exhaust, etc. I'm convinced it's the tranny slipping because it all started with a 4 wheel drive full throttle launch w/ stock tranny. All started around the same miles as yours. Were you givin it hell when it happened (full throttle)? Mines def from the abuse. Mines an 06', but my dads did the same thing when he passsed someone at full throttle...his is an 05'. The oversized tires definately makes it easier for this to happen.

No, i just started it up when i got out of the gym. i dinged like the fuel was low, and i noticed the CEL was on.

·
Diesel-less
4,271 Posts
Start by checking all the obvious stuff... I once left my gas cap off and the light came on :\

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2008 and I tried the key thing and cannot get it to work. This is what I did:

Get in truck, shut door. Put key in.
Turn to run, one click back to off, to run, to off, to run....then stop?

How long do I leave it in run and off each time?

Grrr.....help!?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
you have to do it pretty fast.....otherwise it doesn't work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Get this....not to complain too much...after messing with it several times, I gave up and started the truck to drive home....and the light went off. Gotta love electronics.....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
well, I have learned to not question when good things happen. Hopefully the CEL was a fluke.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Well the ECU should still have the code recorded... stop by your local schmucks/kruger/etc and they will scan it for free.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
are soft codes like that stored????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts