Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I am on round 2 of the check engine light phenomenon..... I had the first one at 215 miles now at 1200 its back. The first time it was the p2000 code and the dealer replaced the o2 sensors and flashed it. But this time when I tried to get the code from the key trick it just showed up with dashed lines... I am getting real close to trading this thing in. By the way, the dealer asked if I was idling too much (i do half city and half hwy) and then proceeded to tell me that I don't drive the truck correctly. Amazing.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
what year model and give me the code

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Thats a common response from a dealer that has no idea whats going on. Many people here have gotten that response. Next time hand him your keys and punch him in the nose. j/k.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2008 6.7 SBQC
The first time it was the p2000 now it isn't turning a code just ------- with the check engine light on

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Go through a few key cycles and see if it clears it self over the next couple of days. Sometimes they will correct themselves and go off after a couple times of starting it up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its at the dealer.... At least the service department I brought it to wont blow smoke up my --- like the one I bought the truck from and called.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I started having trouble getting the key trick to work. Eventually I bought a cheap code scanner at Walmart, which always shows the code even when the odo won't. My dealer also replaced the O2 sensor about 2 weeks ago and no P2000 since then. I heard a rumor (might have been this forum) that a genuine fix is coming in May from Dodge.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Cummins has a DPF news letter that states that it takes hours of idle to cause problems so if the dealer says anything tell them to read Cummins news letter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Remko12

You are in the same boat I'm in. I've been to the dealer 5 times in 14000mi.
All EGR issues. Two weeks ago the service mgr told me they DO NOT have a repair at this time. After I finished swearing I decided to look at Toyotas.

At my first visit the service Rep accused me of using mid sulphur fuel. Stick to your guns, they are just grabbing at straws. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1 Posts
and I thought I was the only one

My truck is in the dealership for the 5th time now for a check engine light. I would get the same treatment each time. "we did a flash update and everything checked out"...and I would drive away getting the light again a day or two later. Lucky enough my dad is a retired mechanic and now works as an expert witness for Lemon Law cases. He told me to call Chrysler and they would get "all over the dealership" and they actually did! I took his advise and my truck has been there for 3 days now. The mechanic is working directly with the Chrysler people. If the truck is not fixed within a "reasonable" amount of time, I can demand a refund or to have it replaced. Each state has its own Lemon Law, look into it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If any of you that are having issues are any where close to Wyoming I would highly recommend going to Cowboy Dodge in Cheyenne. These guys really know the 6.7 and all the fixes and issues. They are top notch. Colorado Dealerships SUCK. I had my first oil change in the truck at Cherry Creek Lithia and they forgot to put oil in the engine! Tried to get service for check engine lights at the Fort Collins Lithia and got the same exact run around that you guys are getting. You need to just really do some homework and find a dealer that sleeps with these motors. I will never go to a lithia again but even if I move Cowboy Dodge in Cheyenne is the place to go. Talk to Tim he is the service manager.

I went in to get the exhaust (dpf cracked) and the turbo(p2262 code) looked at. I knew they needed replaced so I scheduled a examination for it. Sure enough came back and told me that the turbo and exhaust needed replaced (already knew it). He asked to leave the truck and that it would be done in two days. I asked for a loaner car and expected to hear "we dont do that" or "it will cost you $ x a day". Instead to my suprise he says how does a Stratus sound? I said sure and when it came to it I asked how much and he said NO COST. I live 50 miles from the dealership and they still didnt care. Thats what I call customer service. Great guys to deal with as well and he called me in less that 24 hours and had the new turbo and exhaust on and the truck ready to go! Great guys and they have learned from experience. They dont have to call someone every time a 6.7 comes in and they know how to fix them. They also had the parts on the shelves waiting cause they know the issues. I was blown away by their service and figured I would let you guys all know about it and if your close or willing to take a few days off to stay in Cheyenne with a free loaner car while your truck gets fixed that its well worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cummins has a DPF news letter that states that it takes hours of idle to cause problems so if the dealer says anything tell them to read Cummins news letter
Agreed, I actually saved that section and printed it out to use in the future if needed.

However, to date I have been fortunate. I've only had 1 CEL very early and it was fixed and never returned.

As far as the Colorado dealerships I can tell you I have gotten excellent support from Burt Dodge at Lincoln and Parker Road. I go in every so aften and ask for the latest flash update (after learning about it on this forum:beer) and they always do it for me free, no questions asked. They seem to always be on top of the latest fixes and their techs worked directly with Cummins last year to solve some of the early DPF issues and create the new flashes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
On the idle issue. I have personally idled my truck for 6 hours straight on different nights while hunting this last winter. I think the idle thing is just a easy cop out for the dealers.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
why

I want to know who had the bright idea of putting O2's in a oil burning motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Word from Cummins is that Dodge insisted the 6.7 have their ECU. This was,in the opinion of the tech we talked to, a way for Dodge to generate revenue. Cummins equipment won't hook up to the trucks OBD ports.So you cannot take the damn thing to Cummins and have it worked on. NICE!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cummins equipment won't hook up to the trucks OBD ports.So you cannot take the damn thing to Cummins and have it worked on. NICE!!!!!
Um... My 08 has a standard ODB-II port supporting the CAN bus protocol. The CAN bus is kind of new, and many older scanners/programmers don't know how to talk to it, but it's not a Dodge thing. It's an industry standard thing. All 08 and later vehicles are required to support it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Word from Cummins is that Dodge insisted the 6.7 have their ECU. This was,in the opinion of the tech we talked to, a way for Dodge to generate revenue. Cummins equipment won't hook up to the trucks OBD ports.So you cannot take the damn thing to Cummins and have it worked on. NICE!!!!!

More likely they wanted to be able to use the same Starscan equipment as used on almost all other Chrysler and Dodge vehicles rather than something Unique from Cummins. Makes a ton of sense to me.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
So now I am on round 2 of the check engine light phenomenon..... I had the first one at 215 miles now at 1200 its back. The first time it was the p2000 code and the dealer replaced the o2 sensors and flashed it. But this time when I tried to get the code from the key trick it just showed up with dashed lines... I am getting real close to trading this thing in. By the way, the dealer asked if I was idling too much (i do half city and half hwy) and then proceeded to tell me that I don't drive the truck correctly. Amazing.....
Run the EB all the time. I wouldn't trade it in now. You are gonna get a crappy trade in value. Diesel is too high and the general public is starting to hear more about the issues with these trucks throwing codes nonstop. If you are dead set on trading it in then wait until the price of diesel goes down. that way you get a better trade in. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts